Business Success and Businesses' Beauty Capital
AbstractWe examine whether a difference in pay for beauty is supported by different productivity of people according to looks. Using a sample of advertising firms, we find that those firms with better-looking executives have higher revenues and faster growth than do otherwise identical firms whose executives are not so good-looking. The impact on revenue far exceeds the likely effect of beauty on the executives' wages. This suggests that their beauty creates firm-specific investments, in the form of improved relationships within work groups, the returns to which are shared by the firm and the executive.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 6083.
Date of creation: Jul 1997
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as "Business success and businesses' beauty capital" Economics Letters, Vol 93, 3 (December 2006) Pages 201-207 Gerard A. Pfann, Jeff E. Biddle, Daniel S. Hamermesh and Ciska M. Bosman
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- J71 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor Discrimination - - - Hiring and Firing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hamermesh, Daniel S. & Meng, Xin & Zhang, Junsen, 2002.
"Dress for success--does primping pay?,"
Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 361-373, July.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh & Jeff E. Biddle, 1993.
"Beauty and the Labor Market,"
NBER Working Papers
4518, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hashimoto, Masanori, 1981. "Firm-Specific Human Capital as a Shared Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 475-82, June.
- Audretsch, David B & Mahmood, Talat, 1995. "New Firm Survival: New Results Using a Hazard Function," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(1), pages 97-103, February.
- Welch, F, 1970. "Education in Production," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(1), pages 35-59, Jan.-Feb..
- Jeff E. Biddle & Daniel S. Hamermesh, 1998.
"Beauty, Productivity and Discrimination: Lawyers' Looks and Lucre,"
NBER Working Papers
5366, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Biddle, Jeff E & Hamermesh, Daniel S, 1998. "Beauty, Productivity, and Discrimination: Lawyers' Looks and Lucre," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 172-201, January.
- Bruce Johnson, W. & Magee, Robert P. & Nagarajan, Nandu J. & Newman, Harry A., 1985. "An analysis of the stock price reaction to sudden executive deaths : Implications for the managerial labor market," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1-3), pages 151-174, April.
- French, Michael T. & Robins, Philip K. & Homer, Jenny F. & Tapsell, Lauren M., 2009. "Effects of physical attractiveness, personality, and grooming on academic performance in high school," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 373-382, August.
- Giam Pietro Cipriani & Angelo Zago, 2005.
"Productivity or Discrimination? Beauty and the Exams,"
18, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
- Giam Pietro Cipriani & Angelo Zago, 2011. "Productivity or Discrimination? Beauty and the Exams," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 73(3), pages 428-447, 06.
- Seung Chan Ahn & Young Hoon Lee, 2014.
"Beauty And Productivity: The Case Of The Ladies Professional Golf Association,"
Contemporary Economic Policy,
Western Economic Association International, vol. 32(1), pages 155-168, 01.
- Seung Chan Ahn & Young Hoon Lee, 2011. "Beauty and Productivity:The Case of the Ladies Professional Golf Association," Working Papers 1119, Research Institute for Market Economy, Sogang University, revised 2011.
- Olivier Gergaud & Victor Ginsburgh & Florine Livat, 2012.
"Success of Celebrities: Talent, Intelligence or Beauty?,"
AccessEcon, vol. 32(4), pages 3120-3127.
- GERGAUD, Olivier & GINSBURGH, Victor & LIVAT, Florine, . "Success of celebrities: talent, intelligence or beauty?," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2498, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- E. Feess & Gerd Muehlheusser & M. Walzl, 2008. "Unfair contests," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 93(3), pages 267-291, 04.
- Berggren, Niclas & Jordahl, Henrik & Poutvaara, Panu, 2006.
"The Looks of a Winner: Beauty, Gender and Electoral Success,"
Ratio Working Papers
104, The Ratio Institute.
- Berggren, Niclas & Jordahl, Henrik & Poutvaara, Panu, 2006. "The Looks of a Winner: Beauty, Gender and Electoral Success," Working Paper Series 671, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Berggren, Niclas & Jordahl, Henrik & Poutvaara, Panu, 2006. "The Looks of a Winner: Beauty, Gender and Electoral Success," IZA Discussion Papers 2311, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Niclas Berggren & Henrik Jordahl & Panu Poutvaara, 2007. "The Looks of a Winner: Beauty, Gender, and Electoral Success," CESifo Working Paper Series 2002, CESifo Group Munich.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh, 2005.
"Changing Looks and Changing "Discrimination:" The Beauty of Economists,"
NBER Working Papers
11712, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hamermesh, Daniel S., 2006. "Changing looks and changing "discrimination": The beauty of economists," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 93(3), pages 405-412, December.
- GERGAUD, Olivier & GINSBURGH, Victor, 2010.
"Success: talent, intelligence or beauty ?,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2010072, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Victor Ginsburgh & Olivier Gergaud & F. Livat, . "Succes :Talent, Intelligence or Beauty?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/151568, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Olivier Gergaud & Victor Ginsburgh, 2010. "Success: Talent, Intelligence or Beauty?," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2010-046, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Pfeifer, Christian, 2011.
"Physical Attractiveness, Employment, and Earnings,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5664, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Subhani, Muhammad Imtiaz, 2012. "Physical Attractiveness Or Referrals: Which Matters The Most?," MPRA Paper 39105, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Godoy, Ricardo & Reyes-Garcia, Victoria & Huanca, Tomas & Tanner, Susan & Leonard, William R. & McDade, Thomas & Vadez, Vincent, 2005. "Do smiles have a face value? Panel evidence from Amazonian Indians," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 469-490, August.
- Franklin G. Mixon & Steven B. Caudill, 2013. "Campus competition and co-ed allure: An institution-level analysis of collegiate dating markets," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(1), pages 442-453.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.