Productivity and Firm Turnover in Israeli Industry: 1979-1988
AbstractAn analysis of a large panel data set on Israeli industrial firms finds that most of the growth in aggregate productivity comes from productivity changes within firms rather than from entry, exit, or differential growth; that firms which will exit in the future have lower productivity performance several years earlier (the "shadow of death" effect); and that, overall, there was little total factor productivity growth in Israeli industry during 1979-1988 (another "lost decade").
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 4059.
Date of creation: Apr 1995
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C81 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Methodology for Collecting, Estimating, and Organizing Microeconomic Data; Data Access
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bregman, Arie & Fuss, Melvyn & Regev, Haim, 1991. "High tech and productivity: Evidence from Israeli industrial firms," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 1199-1221, August.
- Dunne, Timothy & Roberts, Mark J & Samuelson, Larry, 1989.
"The Growth and Failure of U.S. Manufacturing Plants,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 104(4), pages 671-98, November.
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J. & Samuelson, L., 1988. "The Growth And Failure Of U.S. Manufacturing Plants," Papers 1-87-5, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Steven J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1990. "Gross Job Creation and Destruction: Microeconomic Evidence and Macroeconomic Implications," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1990, Volume 5, pages 123-186 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John R. Baldwin & Paul K. Gorecki, 1990. "Firm Entry and Exit in the Canadian Manufacturing Sector," Working Papers 767, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Maican, Florin & Orth, Matilda, 2012. "A Dynamic Analysis of Regulation and Productivity in Retail Trade," Working Paper Series 939, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Ghani, Ejaz & Goswami, Arti Grover & Kerr, William R., 2012.
"Is India's manufacturing sector moving away from cities ?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6271, The World Bank.
- Ejaz Ghani & Arti Grover Goswami & William R. Kerr, 2012. "Is India’s Manufacturing Sector Moving Away From Cities?," Harvard Business School Working Papers 12-090, Harvard Business School.
- Ejaz Ghani & Arti Grover Goswami & William R. Kerr, 2012. "Is India's Manufacturing Sector Moving Away From Cities?," NBER Working Papers 17992, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lucia Foster & Cheryl Grim & John Haltiwanger, 2013. "Reallocation In The Great Recession: Cleansing Or Not?," Working Papers 13-42, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Maican, Florin & Orth, Matilda, 2012.
"Productivity Dynamics and the Role of “Big-Box” Entrants in Retailing,"
Working Paper Series
898, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Maican, Florin & Orth, Matilda, 2008. "Productivity Dynamics and the Role of “Big-Box” Entrants in Retailing," Working Papers in Economics 328, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Uwe Cantner & Jens J. Krüger & René Söllner, 2012.
"Product quality, product price, and share dynamics in the German compact car market,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 21(5), pages 1085-1115, October.
- Uwe Cantner & Jens J. Krüger & Rene Söllner, 2010. "Product Quality, Product Price, and Share Dynamics in the German Compact Car Market," Jena Economic Research Papers 2010-024, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Okamoto, Yumiko & Sjöholm, Fredrik, 1999. "FDI and the Dynamics of Productivity: Microeconomic Evidence," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 348, Stockholm School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.