Productivity and Firm Turnover in Israeli Industry: 1979-1988
AbstractAn analysis of a large panel data set on Israeli industrial firms finds that most of the growth in aggregate productivity comes from productivity changes within firms rather than from entry, exit, or differential growth; that firms which will exit in the future have lower productivity performance several years earlier (the "shadow of death" effect); and that, overall, there was little total factor productivity growth in Israeli industry during 1979-1988 (another "lost decade").
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 4059.
Date of creation: Apr 1992
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as Journal of Econometrics, vol 65, no. 1, pp.175-203, 1995
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John R. Baldwin & Paul K. Gorecki, 1990. "Firm Entry and Exit in the Canadian Manufacturing Sector," Working Papers 767, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J. & Samuelson, L., 1988.
"The Growth And Failure Of U.S. Manufacturing Plants,"
Papers, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics
1-87-5, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Dunne, Timothy & Roberts, Mark J & Samuelson, Larry, 1989. "The Growth and Failure of U.S. Manufacturing Plants," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 104(4), pages 671-98, November.
- Bregman, Arie & Fuss, Melvyn & Regev, Haim, 1991. "High tech and productivity: Evidence from Israeli industrial firms," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 1199-1221, August.
- Steven J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1990. "Gross Job Creation and Destruction: Microeconomic Evidence and Macroeconomic Implications," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1990, Volume 5, pages 123-186 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maican, Florin & Orth, Matilda, 2012.
"Productivity Dynamics and the Role of â€œBig-Boxâ€ Entrants in Retailing,"
Working Paper Series, Research Institute of Industrial Economics
898, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Maican, Florin & Orth, Matilda, 2008. "Productivity Dynamics and the Role of “Big-Box” Entrants in Retailing," Working Papers in Economics 328, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Keun Rhee & Hak Pyo, 2010. "Financial crisis and relative productivity dynamics in Korea: evidence from firm-level data (1992–2003)," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 111-131, October.
- Lucia Foster & Cheryl Grim & John Haltiwanger, 2013.
"Reallocation In The Great Recession: Cleansing Or Not?,"
13-42, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Lucia Foster & Cheryl Grim & John Haltiwanger, 2014. "Reallocation in the Great Recession: Cleansing or Not?," NBER Working Papers 20427, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ejaz Ghani & Arti Grover Goswami & William R. Kerr, 2012.
"Is India's Manufacturing Sector Moving Away From Cities?,"
NBER Working Papers
17992, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ejaz Ghani & Arti Grover Goswami & William R. Kerr, 2012. "Is India’s Manufacturing Sector Moving Away From Cities?," Harvard Business School Working Papers 12-090, Harvard Business School.
- Ghani, Ejaz & Goswami, Arti Grover & Kerr, William R., 2012. "Is India's manufacturing sector moving away from cities ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6271, The World Bank.
- Asma Raies, 2013. "Firm entry and aggregate efficiency growth: An optimal dynamic - Program of entry and R&D investment," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 10(3), pages 355-376, December.
- Martin, Julien & Mejean, Isabelle, 2014. "Low-wage country competition and the quality content of high-wage country exports," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 140-152.
- Uwe Cantner & Jens J. KrÃ¼ger & Rene SÃ¶llner, 2010.
"Product Quality, Product Price, and Share Dynamics in the German Compact Car Market,"
Jena Economic Research Papers
2010-024, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Uwe Cantner & Jens J. KrÃ¼ger & RenÃ© SÃ¶llner, 2012. "Product quality, product price, and share dynamics in the German compact car market," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(5), pages 1085-1115, October.
- Doms, Mark & Dunne, Timothy & Roberts, Mark J., 1995. "The role of technology use in the survival and growth of manufacturing plants," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 523-542, December.
- Maican, Florin & Orth, Matilda, 2012. "A Dynamic Analysis of Regulation and Productivity in Retail Trade," Working Paper Series, Research Institute of Industrial Economics 939, Research Institute of Industrial Economics, revised 12 Apr 2014.
- Okamoto, Yumiko & SjÃ¶holm, Fredrik, 1999. "FDI and the Dynamics of Productivity: Microeconomic Evidence," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 348, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Utar, Hale & Ruiz, Luis B. Torres, 2013. "International competition and industrial evolution: Evidence from the impact of Chinese competition on Mexican maquiladoras," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 105(C), pages 267-287.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.