The Manufacturing Sector Master File: 1959-1987
AbstractThis document describes the panel of publicly traded United States manufacturing firms which was created and updated at the National Bureau of Economic Research from 1978 through 1990 within the Productivity Program. The panel consists of 2726 large manufacturing firms with one to twenty-nine years of data each; the period covered by the sampling frame was 1976 through 1987, with data back to 1959 where possible. There are about 90 variable for each firm-year of data: the variables give the complete income statement, balance sheet, statement of changes, and data on the market value f the common stock. The firms on the file are identified both by their CUSIP number and by name, making it feasible to match this data to other sources. A special feature of this data file is that all exits from the file between 1976 and 1987 have been identified and the reasons for exit have been tabulated in a diskette file. This file is described in Appendix A of this document.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 3366.
Date of creation: May 1990
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Clint Cumminq & Elizabeth S. Laderman & Joy Mundy, 1988. "The R&D Master File Documentation," NBER Technical Working Papers 0072, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kaiser, Ulrich, 2009. "Patents and profit rates," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 79-80, August.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Raffaele Oriani, 2004.
"Does the Market Value R&D Investment by European Firms? Evidence from a Panel of Manufacturing Firms in France, Germany, and Italy,"
NBER Working Papers
10408, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & Oriani, Raffaele, 2006. "Does the market value R&D investment by European firms? Evidence from a panel of manufacturing firms in France, Germany, and Italy," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 971-993, September.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2010112 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tomaso Duso & Lars-Hendrik Roeller & Jo Seldeslachts, 2010.
"Collusion through Joint R&D: An Empirical Assessment,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
10-112/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Duso, Tomaso & Röller, Lars-Hendrik & Seldeslachts, Jo, 2012. "Collusion through joint R&D: An empirical assessment," DICE Discussion Papers 79, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Duso, Tomaso & Röller, Lars-Hendrik & Seldeslachts, Jo, 2010. "Collusion through Joint R&D: An Empirical Assessment," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 343, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Bronwyn Hall & Jacques Mairesse, 1998. "Does Cash Flow cause Investment and R and D: An Exploration Using Panel Data for French, Japanese, and United States Scientific Firms," Economics Series Working Papers 1998-W08, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.