The Term Structure of Interest Rates and the Effects of Macroeconomic Policy
AbstractThis paper analyzes the effects of monetary and fiscal policy shocks on the term structure of interest rates. The effects of temporary versus permanent, unanticipated versus anticipated, policy disturbances and the responses of long versus short, and real versus nominal, rates are contrasted. The main results are summarized in a series of propositions. Among them, the finding that an unanticipated permanent fiscal expansion impacts more on long-term rates, may help explain their observed excessive volatility. The effects of structural changes on the relative variances are also discussed, with the effect which operates through the impact on private speculative behavior being emphasized.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 2902.
Date of creation: Oct 1989
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Turnovsky, Stephen J, 1989. "The Term Structure of Interest Rates and the Effects of Macroeconomic Policy," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 21(3), pages 321-47, August.
- Turnovsky, S.J., 1989. "The Term Structure Of Interest Rates And The Effets Of Macroeconomics Policy," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 89-03, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Turnovsky, S.J., 1989. "The Term Structure Of Interest Rates And The Effets Of Macroeconomics Policy," Working Papers 89-03, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Maria Carme Riera i Prunera, 2003. "Deficit, human capital and economic growth dynamics," Working Papers in Economics 102, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Cebula, Richard, 1990. "A Note on Federal Budget Deficits and the Term Structure of Real Interest Rates in the United States," MPRA Paper 50238, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ivan Paya & Agustín Duarte & Ioannis A. Venetis, 2004.
"Predicting Real Growth And The Probability Of Recession In The Euro Area Using The Yield Spread,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2004-31, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Duarte, Agustin & Venetis, Ioannis A. & Paya, Ivan, 2005. "Predicting real growth and the probability of recession in the Euro area using the yield spread," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 261-277.
- Duarte, A. & Venetis, I. & Payá, I., 2004. "Curva de rendimientos y crecimiento de la producción real en la UEM: eficiencia y estabilidad predictiva./Yield Curve and Real Output Growth in the EMU: Efficiency and Predictive Stability," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 22, pages 21, Abril.
- Arman Mansoorian & Mohammed Mohsin, 2004.
"Monetary policy in a cash-in-advance economy: employment, capital accumulation, and the term structure of interest rates,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 37(2), pages 336-352, May.
- Arman Mansoorian & Mohammed Mohsin, 2002. "Monetary Policy in a Cash-in-Advance Economy Employment, Capital Accumulation and the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Working Papers 2002_02, York University, Department of Economics.
- Jagjit Chadha & Sean Holly, 2006. "Macroeconomic Models and the Yield Curve," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 105, Society for Computational Economics.
- van Bergeijk, Peter A. G. & Berk, Jan Marc, 2000. "Is the yield curve a useful Information variable for the Eurosystem?," Working Paper Series 0011, European Central Bank.
- Chadha, Jagjit S. & Holly, Sean, 2010.
"Macroeconomic models and the yield curve: An assessment of the fit,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1343-1358, August.
- Chadha, J.S. & Holly, S., 2006. "Macroeconomic Models and the Yield Curve: An assessment of the Fit," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0640, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Bruno Ducoudré, 2005. "Fiscal policy and interest rates," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2005-08, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Jesper Lindé, 2001. "Fiscal policy and interest rates in a small open economy," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 14(2), pages 65-83, Autumn.
- Viktor Kotlán, 2001. "Monetary policy and the term structure of interest rates in a small open economy - a model framework approach," Macroeconomics 0110003, EconWPA.
- Walter Fisher, 2000. "The Term Structure of Interest Rates in a Small Open Economy: A Stochastic Analysis," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 261-278, July.
- Helen Popper, 1995. "Term premia comovement in German, Japanese, and U.S. domestic markets," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 49-62, January.
- Stephen K. McNees & Geoffrey M. B. Tootell, 1991. ""Whither New England"?," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Jul, pages 11-26.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.