Tax Induced Trading: The Effect of the 1986 Tax Reform Act on Stock Market Activity
AbstractThe abolition of the favorable tax treatment of long term capital gains forced investors to reassess traditional year-end trading strategies used to manage tax liabilities. This study compares with year-end trading behavior in previous years with that observed at the end of 1986. Traditional strategies involve selling both short and long term losers and holding short and long term winners. Our results affirm previous findings concerning tax induced trading at year end. However, for 1986, we find that the anticipated tax code changes had a powerful effect on trading behavior. Compared to previous years, relative trading volume was considerably higher in December of 1986 for long term winners and lower for long term losers. Additional results indicate that traditional patterns of trading induced by short term capital gains and losses were also altered substantially in 1986.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 2659.
Date of creation: Jul 1988
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as The Journal of Finance, Vol. XLIV, No. 2, pp. 327-344, (June 1989).
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1983.
"Some aspects of the taxation of capital gains,"
Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 257-294, July.
- George M. Constantinides, 1983.
"Optimal Stock Trading with Personal Taxes: Implications for Prices and the Abnormal January Returns,"
NBER Working Papers
1176, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Constantinides, George M., 1984. "Optimal stock trading with personal taxes : Implications for prices and the abnormal January returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 65-89, March.
- Feldstein, Martin & Slemrod, Joel & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1980.
"The Effects of Taxation on the Selling of Corporate Stock and the Realization of Capital Gains,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press,
MIT Press, vol. 94(4), pages 777-91, June.
- Martin Feldstein & Joel Slemrod & Shlomo Yitzhaki, 1981. "The Effects of Taxation on the Selling of Corporate Stock and the Realization of Capital Gains," NBER Working Papers 0250, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Givoly, Dan & Ovadia, Arie, 1983. " Year-End Tax-Induced Sales and Stock Market Seasonality," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, American Finance Association, vol. 38(1), pages 171-85, March.
- Lakonishok, Josef & Smidt, Seymour, 1986. " Volume for Winners and Losers: Taxation and Other Motives for Stock Trading," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, American Finance Association, vol. 41(4), pages 951-74, September.
- James M. Poterba, 1986.
"How Burdensome are Capital Gains Taxes?,"
NBER Working Papers
1871, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James M. Poterba, 1986. "How Burdensome Are Capital Gains Taxes?," Working papers, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics 410, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Dyl, Edward A, 1977. "Capital Gains Taxation and Year-End Stock Market Behavior," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, American Finance Association, vol. 32(1), pages 165-75, March.
- Feldstein, Martin & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1978. "The effects of the capital gains tax on the selling and switching of common stock," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 17-36, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.