Trade and Exchange Rate Policies in Growth-Oriented Adjustment Programs
AbstractThe search for "growth-oriented adjustment programs" reflects a widespread malaise concerning IMF stabilization programs in countries suffering from external debt crises. A new orthodoxy is emerging from this search, which links recovery in the debtor countries to a shift to "outward-oriented" development, based on trade liberalization. This paper describes many important limitations of this new orthodoxy. The heavy emphasis on liberalization is a historical, and indeed runs contrary to the experiences of the successful East Asian economies. It also distracts attention from more pressing needs of the debtor economies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 2226.
Date of creation: Apr 1987
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as Growth Oriented Adjustment Programs, Washington DC IMF and World Bank Vittorio Corbo and M Khan and G. Goldstein eds., Spanish Translation in Revista de Economica Politica, Vol 8, No. 2, (30), April - June 1988
Note: ITI IFM
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Buiter, Willem H., 1987.
"Borrowing to defend the exchange rate and the timing and magnitude of speculative attacks,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(3-4), pages 221-239, November.
- Buiter, Willem H, 1986. "Borrowing to Defend the Exchange Rate and the Timing and Magnitude of Speculative Attacks," CEPR Discussion Papers 95, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Willem H. Buiter, 1986. "Borrowing to Defend the Exchange Rate and the Timing and Magnitude of Speculative Attacks," NBER Working Papers 1844, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- International Monetary Fund, 1985. "Formulation of Exchange Rate Policies in Adjustment Programs," IMF Occasional Papers 36, International Monetary Fund.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Siebert, Horst, 1989. "Güterwirtschaftliche Anpassungsprozesse zur Lösung der Verschuldungsfrage," Kiel Working Papers 349, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1989.
"On the Sequencing of Structural Reforms,"
NBER Working Papers
3138, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schweickert, Rainer, 1991. "Efficient real exchange rate adjustment in developing countries: alternative devaluation strategies, economic structure, and sequencing of reforms," Kiel Working Papers 473, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Stefano Chiarlone & Alessia Amighini, 2000. "Any Sequel to the "Miracle"? Growth Potential in East Asia: Evidence from International Trade Flows," KITeS Working Papers 123, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Dec 2000.
- Dani Rodrik, 1988. "The Welfare Economics of Debt Service," NBER Working Papers 2655, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jesko Hentschel, 1988. "Managing international debt," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 126-131, June.
- Bresser Pereira, Luiz Carlos, 1995.
"Latin Amerika az "állam válsága" megközelítés fényében
[The crisis of the state approach to Latin America]," Közgazdasági Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), Közgazdasági Szemle Alapítvány (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(6), pages 533-551.
- Bhattacharya, Rina, 1997. "Pace, sequencing and credibility of structural reforms," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(7), pages 1045-1061, July.
- Dylan McGee, Christopher, 2007. "Sovereign bond markets with political risk and moral hazard," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 186-201.
- Dilip Dutta & Nasiruddin Ahmed, 2001.
"Trade Liberalisation and Industrial Growth in Pakistan: A Cointegration Analysis,"
ASARC Working Papers
2001-01, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Dilip Dutta & Nasiruddin Ahmed, 2004. "Trade liberalization and industrial growth in Pakistan: a cointegration analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(13), pages 1421-1429.
- Dani Rodrik, 1988. "Closing the Technology Gap: Does Trade Liberalization Really Help?," NBER Working Papers 2654, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Spinanger, Dean, 1988. "Tapping Brazil's labour potential: Trends and insights," Kiel Working Papers 323, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Moreira, Mauricio Mesquita & Correa, Paulo Guilherme, 1998. "A first look at the impacts of trade liberalization on Brazilian manufacturing industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(10), pages 1859-1874, October.
- Nasiruddin Ahmed, 2003. "Trade liberalization and endogenous growth of manufacturing industries in Bangladesh: an empirical investigation," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(3), pages 305-314.
- Jeffrey Sachs, 1988. "Conditionality, Debt Relief, and the Developing Country Debt Crisis," NBER Working Papers 2644, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mustapha Nabli, 1990. "The political economy of trade liberalization in developing countries," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 111-145, June.
- Pereira, Luiz Carlos Bresser, 1993. "A Turning Point in the Debt Crisis and the Bank, a Brasilian Memoir," Textos para discussÃ£o 48, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Corbo, Vittorio & Fischer, Stanley, 1991. "Adjustment programs and Bank support : rationale and main results," Policy Research Working Paper Series 582, The World Bank.
- Naqvi, Syed Nawab Haider, 1996. "The significance of development economics," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 975-987, June.
- Corbo, Vittorio, 1991. "Report on adjustment lending II : lessons forEastern Europe," Policy Research Working Paper Series 693, The World Bank.
- Lopez, Ramon, 1991. "How trade and macroeconomic policies affect economic growth and capital accumulation in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 625, The World Bank.
- Pastor, Manuel Jr. & Conroy, Michael E., 1995. "Distributional implications of macroeconomic policy: Theory and applications to El Salvador," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(12), pages 2117-2131, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.