Testing for Real Effects of Monetary Policy Regime Shifts
AbstractHuizinga and Mishkin (1986) have recently proposed a simple method for testing whether monetary policy regime changes have affected the ex-ante real rate of interest. This paper shows that care must be taken in choosing the set of variables on which to project the ex-post real rate if inferences about the ex-ante real rate are to be drawn. It is shown that Huizinga. and Mishkin's tests cannot distinguish between shifts in the real rate process and shifts in the inflation process.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 2116.
Date of creation: Jan 1987
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Huh, Chan G. & Lansing, Kevin J., 2000.
"Expectations, credibility, and disinflation in a small macroeconomic model,"
Journal of Economics and Business,
Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 51-86.
- Chan G. Huh & Kevin J. Lansing, 1998. "Expectations, credibility, and disinflation in a small macroeconomic model," Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory and Econometrics 98-01, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Chan G. Huh & Kevin J. Lansing, 1997. "Expectations, credibility, and disinflation in a small macroeconomic model," Working Paper 9713, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Carl E. Walsh, 1987.
"The Impact of Monetary Targeting in the United States: 1976-1984,"
NBER Working Papers
2384, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carl E. Walsh, 1987. "The impact of monetary targeting in the United States, 1976-1984," Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory 87-04, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Chan G. Huh & Kevin J. Lansing, 1998. "Federal Reserve credibility and inflation scares," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 3-16.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.