Tobin's Q and Financial Policy
AbstractRecent research in macroeconomics has emphasized the importance of linking the financial and real sectors and the need for working with optimizing models. Tobinâ€™s Q model of investment would appear to provide a framework that can satisfy these two criteria. In contrast to the original presentation of the Q model, the formal development has not recognized that the firm actively participates in a number of financial markets; in this broader context, we show that Q is likely to be an uninformative and possibly misleading signal for investment expenditures . We then endeavor to turn this negative theoretical result to positive advantage in resolving a number of empirical problems with Q models, but the modifications dictated by the theory receive little support from the data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 2082.
Date of creation: Nov 1986
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as From Journal of Monetary Economics, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 69-87, (January 1987).
Note: EFG ME
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Poterba, James M. & Summers, Lawrence H., 1983.
"Dividend taxes, corporate investment, and `Q',"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 135-167, November.
- Barnea, Amir & Haugen, Robert A & Senbet, Lemma W, 1981. "An Equilibrium Analysis of Debt Financing under Costly Tax Arbitrage and Agency Problems," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(3), pages 569-81, June.
- Thomas J. Sargent, 1980.
"Interpreting economic time series,"
58, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Tobin, James, 1969. "A General Equilibrium Approach to Monetary Theory," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 15-29, February.
- Fumio Hayashi, 1981.
"Tobin's Marginal q and Average a : A Neoclassical Interpretation,"
457, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hayashi, Fumio, 1982. "Tobin's Marginal q and Average q: A Neoclassical Interpretation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 213-24, January.
- Mussa, Michael L, 1977. "External and Internal Adjustment Costs and the Theory of Aggregate and Firm Investment," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 44(174), pages 163-78, May.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, P., 1974. "Spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-120, July.
- Blanchard, Olivier J. & Wyplosz, Charles, 1981. "An empirical structural model of aggregate demand," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 1-28.
- Lucas, Robert Jr, 1976. "Econometric policy evaluation: A critique," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 19-46, January.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1977. "Determinants of corporate borrowing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 147-175, November.
- Lawrence H. Summers, 1981. "Taxation and Corporate Investment: A q-Theory Approach," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 12(1), pages 67-140.
- Richard W. Kopcke, 1992. "Tobin's Q, economic rents, and the optimal stock of capital," Working Papers 92-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Michael P. O'Malley, 1996. "Tax exhaustion, firm investment, and leasing; a test of the Q model of investment," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 96-31, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Mark Gertler, 1988.
"Financial structure and aggregate economic activity: an overview,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 559-596.
- Gertler, Mark, 1988. "Financial Structure and Aggregate Economic Activity: An Overview," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 20(3), pages 559-88, August.
- Mark L. Gertler, 1988. "Financial Structure and Aggregate Economic Activity: An Overview," NBER Working Papers 2559, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carruth, Alan & Dickerson, Andrew & Henley, Andrew, 2000.
"Econometric Modelling of UK Aggregate Investment: The Role of Profits and Uncertainty,"
University of Manchester, vol. 68(3), pages 276-300, June.
- Alan Carruth & Andy Dickerson & Andrew Henley, 1998. "Econometric Modelling of UK Aggregate Investment: The Role of Profits and Uncertainty," Studies in Economics 9812, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Alan Carruth & Andrew Dickerson & Andrew Henley, 1997. "Econometric Modelling of UK Aggregate Investment: The Role of Profits and Uncertainty," Studies in Economics 9704, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Gonzalez, Pedro & Vasconcellos, Geraldo M. & Kish, Richard J., 1998. "Cross-border mergers and acquisitions: The undervaluation hypothesis," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 25-45.
- Strulik, Holger, 2003.
"Capital tax reform, corporate finance, and economic growth and welfare,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 595-615, December.
- Holger Strulik, 1999. "Capital Tax Reform, Corporate Finance, and Economic Growth and Welfare," Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers 19908, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Richard W. Kopcke, 1995. "Tobin's Q, economic rents, and the optimal stock of capital," Working Papers 95-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Hansen, Sten, 1999. "Agency Costs, Credit Constraints and Corporate Investment," Working Paper Series 79, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.