Numerical Solution of Dynamic Portfolio Optimization with Transaction Costs
AbstractWe apply numerical dynamic programming to multi-asset dynamic portfolio optimization problems with proportional transaction costs. Examples include problems with one safe asset plus two to six risky stocks, and seven to 360 trading periods in a finite horizon problem. These examples show that it is now tractable to solve such problems.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 18709.
Date of creation: Jan 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-01-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2013-01-26 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-DGE-2013-01-26 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yongyang Cai & Kenneth L. Judd, 2010. "Stable and Efficient Computational Methods for Dynamic Programming," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 8(2-3), pages 626-634, 04-05.
- Duffie, Darrell & Sun, Tong-sheng, 1990. "Transactions costs and portfolio choice in a discrete-continuous-time setting," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 35-51, February.
- Karel Janeček & Steven Shreve, 2004. "Asymptotic analysis for optimal investment and consumption with transaction costs," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 181-206, 05.
- Gerard Gennotte & Alan Jung, 1994. "Investment Strategies under Transaction Costs: The Finite Horizon Case," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(3), pages 385-404, March.
- George M. Constantinides, 1979. "Multiperiod Consumption and Investment Behavior with Convex Transactions Costs," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(11), pages 1127-1137, November.
- Merton, Robert C, 1969. "Lifetime Portfolio Selection under Uncertainty: The Continuous-Time Case," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(3), pages 247-57, August.
- Jules H. Kamin, 1975. "Optimal Portfolio Revision with a Proportional Transaction Cost," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 21(11), pages 1263-1271, July.
- David B. Brown & James E. Smith, 2011. "Dynamic Portfolio Optimization with Transaction Costs: Heuristics and Dual Bounds," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 57(10), pages 1752-1770, October.
- Yongyang Cai & Kenneth L. Judd, 2012. "Dynamic Programming with Hermite Approximation," NBER Working Papers 18540, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George M. Constantinides, 1976. "Note--Optimal Portfolio Revision with Proportional Transaction Costs: Extension to Hara Utility Functions and Exogenous Deterministic Income," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(8), pages 921-923, April.
- Merton, Robert C., 1971.
"Optimum consumption and portfolio rules in a continuous-time model,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 373-413, December.
- R. C. Merton, 1970. "Optimum Consumption and Portfolio Rules in a Continuous-time Model," Working papers 58, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Abrams, Robert A & Karmarkar, Uday S, 1980. "Optimal Multiperiod Investment-Consumption Policies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(2), pages 333-53, March.
- Kumar Muthuraman & Sunil Kumar, 2006. "Multidimensional Portfolio Optimization With Proportional Transaction Costs," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(2), pages 301-335.
- Hong Liu, 2004. "Optimal Consumption and Investment with Transaction Costs and Multiple Risky Assets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(1), pages 289-338, 02.
- Constantinides, George M, 1986. "Capital Market Equilibrium with Transaction Costs," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 842-62, August.
- Zabel, Edward, 1973. "Consumer Choice, Portfolio Decisions, and Transaction Costs," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(2), pages 321-35, March.
- Kumar Muthuraman & Haining Zha, 2008. "Simulation-Based Portfolio Optimization For Large Portfolios With Transaction Costs," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(1), pages 115-134.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.