Monopolistic Competition, Relative Prices and Output Adjustment in the Open Economy
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to explain price and output dynamics in an open economy characterized by a monopolistic competitive market structure in which pricing decisions incur costs. That lead producers to pre-set the price path for several periods. The paper derives an optimal pricing rule, including the optimal pre-setting horizon. It does so for a rational expectation equilibrium, characterized by staggered, unsynchronized price setting, for which the degree of staggering is endogenously determined. The discussion focuses on the critical role of the degree of domestic-foreign goods substitutability in explaining price and output effects of monetary and real shocks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 1787.
Date of creation: Aug 1989
Date of revision:
Note: ITI IFM
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Aizenman, Joshua, 1989. "Monopolistic competition, relative prices, and output adjustment in the open economy," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 5-28, March.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1976. "Expectations and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1161-76, December.
- Sheshinski, Eytan & Weiss, Yoram, 1977. "Inflation and Costs of Price Adjustment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 287-303, June.
- Taylor, John B, 1980.
"Aggregate Dynamics and Staggered Contracts,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(1), pages 1-23, February.
- Isard, Peter, 1977. "How Far Can We Push the "Law of One Price"?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(5), pages 942-48, December.
- Flood, Robert P & Hodrick, Robert J, 1985.
"Optimal Price and Inventory Adjustment in an Open-Economy Model of the Business Cycle,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 100(5), pages 887-914, Supp..
- Robert P. Flood & Robert J. Hodrick, 1986. "Optimal Price and Inventory Adjustment in an Open-Economy Model of the Business Cycle," NBER Working Papers 1089, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rotemberg, Julio J, 1982. "Sticky Prices in the United States," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(6), pages 1187-1211, December.
- Svensson, Lars E O & van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1989.
"Excess Capacity, Monopolistic Competition, and International Transmission of Monetary Disturbances,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(397), pages 785-805, September.
- Lars E.O. Svensson & Sweder van Wijnbergen, 1990. "Excess Capacity, Monopolistic Competition, and International Transmission of Monetary Disturbances," NBER Working Papers 2262, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joshua Aizenman, 1991. "Foreign Direct Investment, Productive Capacity and Exchange Rate Regimes," NBER Working Papers 3767, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andersen, Torben M., 1997. "Exchange Rate Volatility, Nominal Rigidities, and Persistent Deviations from PPP," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 584-609, December.
- Huw Dixon & Alberto Pompermaier, .
"A comparison of menu-costs in open and closed economies with a mixed industrial structure,"
98/2, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Huw Dixon & Alberto Pompermaier, 1999. "A Comparison of Menu Costs in Open and Closed Economies with a Mixed Industrial Structure," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 365-384, October.
- van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1988.
"Monopolistic competition, credibility and the output costs of disinflation programs An analysis of price controls,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 375-398, November.
- Sweder van Wijnbergen, 1987. "Monopolistic Competition, Credibility and the Output Costs of Disinflation Programs: An Analysis of Price Controls," NBER Working Papers 2302, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.