Recent Research on the Economics of Patents
AbstractRecent research on the economics of patents is surveyed. The topics covered include theoretical and empirical evidence on patents as an incentive for innovation, the effectiveness of patents for invention disclosure, patent valuation, and what we know about the design of patent systems. We also look at what is known about some current policy areas, including software and business method patents, university patenting, and the growth in patent litigation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 17773.
Date of creation: Jan 2012
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as Bronwyn H. Hall & Dietmar Harhoff, 2012. "Recent Research on the Economics of Patents," Annual Review of Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 4(1), pages 541-565, 07.
Note: LE PR
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- K11 - Law and Economics - - Basic Areas of Law - - - Property Law
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
- O34 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Intellectual Property and Intellectual Capital
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-HME-2012-02-01 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-INO-2012-02-01 (Innovation)
- NEP-IPR-2012-02-01 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-LAW-2012-02-01 (Law & Economics)
- NEP-SBM-2012-02-01 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-TID-2012-02-01 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- David S. Abrams & Ufuk Akcigit & Jillian Popadak, 2013. "Patent Value and Citations: Creative Destruction or Strategic Disruption?," NBER Working Papers 19647, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christian Le Bas & Julien Pénin, 2014. "Patents and innovation : Are the brakes broken, or how to restore patents’ dynamic efficiency ?," Working Papers of BETA 2014-02, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Zaby, Alexandra K. & Heger, Diana, 2013. "The strategic use of fuzziness in patent specifications," ZEW Discussion Papers, ZEW - Zentrum fÃ¼r EuropÃ¤ische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research 13-043, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Dr Chiara Rosazza Bondibene, 2012. "A Study of Patent Thickets," NIESR Discussion Papers, National Institute of Economic and Social Research 11129, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Nahoko Mitsuyama, 2013. "Stock Market Reaction to Patent Value in Japan: an Event Study Analysis," Journal of Knowledge Management, Economics and Information Technology, ScientificPapers.org, ScientificPapers.org, vol. 3(6), pages 12, December.
- Heger, Diana & Zaby, Alexandra K., 2013. "A look at both sides of the coin: Investigating the protective and the disclosure effect of patenting," ZEW Discussion Papers, ZEW - Zentrum fÃ¼r EuropÃ¤ische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research 13-048, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Erkan Gürpinar, 2013. "Organizational Forms in the Knowledge Economy: A Comparative Institutional Analysis," Department of Economics University of Siena, Department of Economics, University of Siena 679, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Philippe Aghion & Stefan Bechtold & Lea Cassar & Holger Herz, 2014. "The Causal Effects of Competition on Innovation: Experimental Evidence," NBER Working Papers 19987, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dan Andrews & Chiara Criscuolo, 2013. "Knowledge-Based Capital, Innovation and Resource Allocation," OECD Economics Department Working Papers, OECD Publishing 1046, OECD Publishing.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.