Did Securitization Affect the Cost of Corporate Debt?
AbstractThis paper investigates whether the securitization of corporate bank loans had an impact on the price of corporate debt. Our results suggest that loan facilities that are subsequently securitized are associated with a 15 basis point lower spread than that of loans that are not subsequently securitized. To identify the particular role of securitization in loan pricing, we employ a difference in differences approach and consider loan characteristics that are associated with the likelihood of securitization. We document that Term Loan B facilities, facilities originated by banks that originate CLOs, and loans of B-Rated firms are securitized more frequently than other loans. Spreads on facilities estimated to be more likely to be subsequently securitized have lower spreads than otherwise similar facilities. The results are consistent with the view that securitization caused a reduction in the cost of capital.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 16849.
Date of creation: Mar 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Nadauld, Taylor D. & Weisbach, Michael S., 2012. "Did securitization affect the cost of corporate debt?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 105(2), pages 332-352.
- Nadauld, Taylor D. & Weisbach, Michael S., 2010. "Did Securitization Affect the Cost of Corporate Debt?," Working Paper Series 2010-16, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dell''Ariccia, Giovanni & Igan, Deniz & Laeven, Luc, 2008.
"Credit Booms and Lending Standards: Evidence From The Subprime Mortgage Market,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6683, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giovanni Dell’Ariccia & Deniz Igan & Luc Laeven, 2012. "Credit Booms and Lending Standards: Evidence from the Subprime Mortgage Market," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 44, pages 367-384, 03.
- Dell’Ariccia, G. & Igan, D. & Laeven, L., 2009. "Credit Booms and Lending Standards: Evidence from the Subprime Mortgage Market," Discussion Paper 2009-46 S, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Luc Laeven & Deniz Igan, 2008. "Credit Booms and Lending Standards: Evidence from the Subprime Mortgage Market," IMF Working Papers 08/106, International Monetary Fund.
- Amir Sufi, 2007. "Information Asymmetry and Financing Arrangements: Evidence from Syndicated Loans," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(2), pages 629-668, 04.
- Nicola Gennaioli & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, 2010. "Financial Innovation and Financial Fragility," Working Papers 2010.114, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Ulf Axelson & Tim Jenkinsom & Per Strömberg & Michael S. Weisbach, 2012.
"Borrow Cheap, Buy High? The Determinants of Leverage and Pricing in Buyouts,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp698, Financial Markets Group.
- Ulf Axelson & Tim Jenkinson & Per Strömberg & Michael S. Weisbach, 2010. "Borrow Cheap, Buy High? The Determinants of Leverage and Pricing in Buyouts," NBER Working Papers 15952, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Axelson, Ulf & Jenkinson, Tim & Strömberg, Per Johan & Weisbach, Michael, 2012. "Borrow Cheap, Buy High? The Determinants of Leverage and Pricing in Buyouts," CEPR Discussion Papers 8914, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Axelson, Ulf & Jenkinson, Tim & Stromberg, Per & Weisbach, Michael S., 2010. "Borrow Cheap, Buy High? The Determinants of Leverage and Pricing in Buyouts," Working Paper Series 2010-9, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Amir Sufi, 2009. "The Real Effects of Debt Certification: Evidence from the Introduction of Bank Loan Ratings," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(4), pages 1659-1691, April.
- Joshua Coval & Jakub Jurek & Erik Stafford, 2009. "The Economics of Structured Finance," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 23(1), pages 3-25, Winter.
- Benmelech, Efraim & Bergman, Nittai K., 2009.
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(3), pages 339-360, March.
- Efraim Benmelech & Nittai K. Bergman, 2010.
NBER Working Papers
16200, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.