Euler-Equation Estimation for Discrete Choice Models: A Capital Accumulation Application
AbstractThis paper studies capital adjustment at the establishment level. Our goal is to characterize capital adjustment costs, which are important for understanding both the dynamics of aggregate investment and the impact of various policies on capital accu- mulation. Our estimation strategy searches for parameters that minimize ex post errors in an Euler equation. This strategy is quite common in models for which adjustment occurs in each period. Here, we extend that logic to the estimation of parameters of dynamic optimization problems in which non-convexities lead to extended periods of investment inactivity. In doing so, we create a method to take into account censored observations stemming from intermittent investment. This methodology allows us to take the structural model directly to the data, avoiding time-consuming simulation- based methods. To study the effectiveness of this methodology, we first undertake several Monte Carlo exercises using data generated by the structural model. We then estimate capital adjustment costs for U.S. manufacturing establishments in two sectors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 15675.
Date of creation: Jan 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Russell Cooper & John Haltiwanger & Jonathan Willis, 2010. "Euler-Equation Estimation for Discrete Choice Models: A Capital Accumulation Application," Working Papers 10-02, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Russell Cooper & John Haltiwanger & Jonathan L. Willis, 2010. "Euler-Equation Estimation for Discrete Choice Models: A Capital Accumulation Application," Economics Working Papers ECO2010/21, European University Institute.
- Russell Cooper & John Haltiwanger & Jonathan L. Willis, 2010. "Euler-equation estimation for discrete choice models: a capital accumulation application," Research Working Paper RWP 10-04, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- C24 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Truncated and Censored Models; Switching Regression Models
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gilchrist, S. & Himmelberg, C.P., 1995.
"Evidence on the Role of Cash Flow for Investment,"
95-29, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Simon Gilchrist & Charles P. Himmelberg, 1993. "Evidence on the role of cash flow for investment," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 93-7, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Simon Gilchrist & Charles P. Himmelberg, 1995. "Evidence on the Role of Cash Flow for Investment," Working Papers 95-01, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Eberly, Janice C, 1994.
"Adjustment of Consumers' Durables Stocks: Evidence from Automobile Purchases,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(3), pages 403-36, June.
- Eberly, J.C., 1990. "Adjustment of Consumers'durables Stocks: Evidence from Automobile Purchases," Weiss Center Working Papers 22-91, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Janice C. Eberly, . "Adjustment of Consumers' Durables Stocks: Evidence from Automobile Purchases," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 22-91, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Tauchen, George, 1986. "Finite state markov-chain approximations to univariate and vector autoregressions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 177-181.
- Russell W. Cooper & John C. Haltiwanger, 2006.
"On the Nature of Capital Adjustment Costs,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 73(3), pages 611-633.
- Aguirregabiria, V., 1997. "Estimation of Dynamic Programming Models with Censored Dependent Variables," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 9711, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Griliches, Zvi & Hausman, Jerry A., 1986.
"Errors in variables in panel data,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 93-118, February.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1982. "Generalized Instrumental Variables Estimation of Nonlinear Rational Expectations Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(5), pages 1269-86, September.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Euler-Equation Estimation for Discrete Choice Models: A Capital Accumulation Application
by Christian Zimmermann in NEP-DGE blog on 2010-02-15 18:13:04
- Yashiv, Eran, 2012. "Frictions and the Joint Behavior of Hiring and Investment," IZA Discussion Papers 6636, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Yosef Bonaparte & Russell Cooper, 2010. "Costly Portfolio Adjustment," Economics Working Papers ECO2010/19, European University Institute.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Arvind Magesan, 2013. "Euler Equations for the Estimation of Dynamic Discrete Choice Structural Models," Working Papers tecipa-489, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Yashiv, Eran, 2011. "The Joint Behavior of Hiring and Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 8237, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.