The New View of the Property Tax: A Reformulation
AbstractThe"new view" of the property tax is reformulated within the context of a model with interjurisdictional competition, endogenous local public services, individuals who are segregated into homogeneous communities according to tastes for local public services, a simple form of land use zoning, and a political or constitutional constraint on the use of head taxes by local governments. Expressions for the "profits tax" and"excise tax" effects of the property tax are derived. The effects of a "consumption distortion" away from government services due to local reluctance to tax mobile capital are also examined.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 1481.
Date of creation: Oct 1984
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Victor Duarte Lledo, 2005. "Tax Systems under Fiscal Adjustment: A Dynamic CGE Analysis of the Brazilian Tax Reform," IMF Working Papers 05/142, International Monetary Fund.
- Zodrow, George R., 2001. "The Property Tax as a Capital Tax: A Room with Three Views," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 54(n. 1), pages 139-56, March Cit.
- Weingast, Barry R., 2009. "Second generation fiscal federalism: The implications of fiscal incentives," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 279-293, May.
- George R. Zodrow, 2007.
"The Property Tax Incidence Debate and the Mix of State and Local Finance of Local Public Expenditures,"
CESifo Economic Studies,
CESifo, vol. 53(4), pages 495-521, December.
- George R. Zodrow, 2008. "The Property Tax Incidence Debate and the Mix of State and Local Finance of Local Public Expenditures," Working Papers 0801, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Athiphat Muthitacharoen & George R. Zodrow, 2012. "Revisiting the Excise Tax Effects of the Property Tax: Working Paper 2012-05," Working Papers 42926, Congressional Budget Office.
- Peter M. Mieszkowski & George R. Zodrow, 1984. "The Incidence of the Local Property Tax: A Re-evaluation," NBER Working Papers 1485, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gravelle, Jennifer, 2013. "Corporate Tax Incidence: Review Of General Equilibrium Estimates And Analysis," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 66(1), pages 185-214, March Cit.
- Christensen, Kevin & Cline, Robert & Neubig, Tom, 2001. "Total Corporate Taxation: "Hidden," Above-the-Line, Non-Income Taxes," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 54(n. 3), pages 495-506, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.