An Historical Perspective on the Crisis of 2007-2008
AbstractThis paper provides an historical perspective on the crisis of 2007-2008. The crisis is part of a perennial pattern. It has echoes in earlier big international financial crises which were triggered by events in the U.S. financial system. Examples include the crises of 1857, 1893 1907 and 1929-33. This crisis has many similarities to those of the past but also some important modern twists.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 14569.
Date of creation: Dec 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- N10 - Economic History - - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics; Industrial Structure; Growth; Fluctuations - - - General, International, or Comparative
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-12-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2008-12-14 (Central Banking)
- NEP-HIS-2008-12-14 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-PKE-2008-12-14 (Post Keynesian Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fohlin,Caroline, 2011.
"Finance Capitalism and Germany's Rise to Industrial Power,"
Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press,
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521396608.
- Fohlin,Caroline, 2007. "Finance Capitalism and Germany's Rise to Industrial Power," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521810203.
- Ben S. Bernanke, 2007. "Global imbalances: recent developments and prospects," Speech, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) 317, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- repec:fip:fedgsq:y:2007:i:sep11 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alistair Milne & Geoffrey E. Wood, 2008. "Banking crisis solutions old and new," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 517-530.
- Michael D. Bordo & David C. Wheelock, 2007. "Stock market booms and monetary policy in the twentieth century," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 91-122.
- Schnabel, Isabel & Shin, Hyun Song, 2001. "Foreshadowing LTCM: The Crisis of 1763," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, UniversitÃ¤t Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim 02-46, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, UniversitÃ¤t Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Michael D. Bordo & Andrew Filardo, 2004.
"Deflation and Monetary Policy in a Historical Perspective: Remembering the Past or Being Condemned to Repeat It?,"
NBER Working Papers
10833, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Bordo & Andrew Filardo, 2005. "Deflation and monetary policy in a historical perspective: remembering the past or being condemned to repeat it?," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 20(44), pages 799-844, October.
- Michael D. Bordo, 2006. "Sudden Stops, Financial Crises, and Original Sin in Emerging Countries: Déjà vu?," NBER Working Papers 12393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sergio Masciantonio & Andrea Tiseno, 2013.
"The rise and fall of universal banking: ups and downs of a sample of large and complex financial institutions since the late ‘90s,"
Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers)
164, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Sergio MASCIANTONIO & Andrea TISENO, 2013. "THE RISE AND FALL OF UNIVERSAL BANKING: UPS AND DOWNS OF A SAMPLE OF LARGE AND COMPLEX FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS SINCE THE LATE '90s," Journal of Advanced Studies in Finance, ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(1), pages 5-31, July.
- Masciantonio, Sergio & Tiseno, Andrea, 2012. "The rise and fall of universal banking: ups and downs of a sample of large and complex financial institutions since the late â€˜90s," MPRA Paper 42494, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Arthur Grimes, 2014. "Four Lectures on Central Banking," Working Papers, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research 14_02, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Apergis, Nicholas & Payne, James E., 2014. "Resurrecting the size effect: Evidence from a panel nonlinear cointegration model for the G7 stock markets," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 46-53.
- Gabriel Jimenez & Atif Mian & Jose-Luis Peydro & Jesus Saurina, 2011.
"Local versus aggregate lending channels : the effects of securitization on corporate credit supply in Spain,"
Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago
1126, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Gabriel JimÃ©nez & Atif R. Mian & JosÃ©-Luis PeydrÃ³ & JesÃºs Saurina, 2010. "Local Versus Aggregate Lending Channels: The Effects Of Securitization On Corporate Credit Supply In Spain," NBER Working Papers 16595, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenc, Turalay & Dibooglu, Sel, 2010. "The 2007-2009 financial crisis, global imbalances and capital flows: Implications for reform," Economic Systems, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 3-21, March.
- Annabelle Mourougane & Davide Furceri, 2010. "Une lecture de la crise Ã la lumiÃ¨re des crises passÃ©es," Ã‰conomie et Statistique, Programme National PersÃ©e, Programme National PersÃ©e, vol. 438(1), pages 19-42.
- Adamopoulou, Effrosyni & Tanzi, Giulia M., 2014. "Academic Performance and the Great Recession," MPRA Paper 54913, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michael D. Bordo & Joseph G. Haubrich, 2009.
"Credit crises, money, and contractions: A historical view,"
0908, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Bordo, Michael D. & Haubrich, Joseph G., 2010. "Credit crises, money and contractions: An historical view," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Michael D. Bordo & Joseph G. Haubrich, 2009. "Credit Crises, Money and Contractions: an historical view," NBER Working Papers 15389, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Romar Correa, 2010. "Regime-Changes in a Stock-Flow-Consistent Model," Interdisciplinary Description of Complex Systems - scientific journal, Croatian Interdisciplinary Society Provider Homepage: http://indecs.eu, vol. 8(1), pages 24-33.
- Ulrich Suntum & Cordelius Ilgmann, 2013. "Bad banks: a proposal based on German financial history," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 367-384, June.
- Bates, Samuel & Vaugirard, Victor, 2009. "Monetary Transmission Channels around the Subprime Crisis : The US Experience," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/1483, Paris Dauphine University.
- Mohammed Dore & Rajiv Singh, 2012. "The Role of Credit in the 2007â€“09 Great Recession," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 40(3), pages 295-313, September.
- Satish Ranchod, 2010. "Lessons from previous U.S. recessions and recoveries," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 73, pages 37-52, March.
- Jane Dokko & Brian M. Doyle & Michael T. Kiley & Jinill Kim & Shane Sherlund & Jae Sim & Skander Van Den Heuvel, 2011. "Monetary policy and the global housing bubble," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 26(66), pages 233-283, 04.
- Robert L. Hetzel, 2009. "Monetary policy in the 2008-2009 recession," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Spr, pages 201-233.
- Cordelius Ilgmann & Ulrich van Suntum, . "Bad Banks: The Case of Germany," Working Papers, Institute of Spatial and Housing Economics, Munster Universitary 200110, Institute of Spatial and Housing Economics, Munster Universitary.
- Gabriel JimÃ©nez & Atif Mian & JosÃ©-Luis PeydrÃ³ & JesÃºs Saurina, 2011. "Local versus aggregate lending channels: the effects of securitization on corporate credit supply," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 1124, Banco de Espaï¿½a.
- R. Gargano & E. Otranto, 2013. "Financial Clustering in Presence of Dominant Markets," Working Paper CRENoS 201318, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- ArgandoÃ±a, Antonio, 2009. "Can corporate social responsibility help us understand the credit crisis?," IESE Research Papers, IESE Business School D/790, IESE Business School.
- Harrison, Ann & Sepulveda, Claudia, 2011. "Learning from developing country experience : growth and economic thought before and after the 2008-09 crisis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5752, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.