An Historical Perspective on the Crisis of 2007-2008
AbstractThis paper provides an historical perspective on the crisis of 2007-2008. The crisis is part of a perennial pattern. It has echoes in earlier big international financial crises which were triggered by events in the U.S. financial system. Examples include the crises of 1857, 1893 1907 and 1929-33. This crisis has many similarities to those of the past but also some important modern twists.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 14569.
Date of creation: Dec 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- N10 - Economic History - - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics; Industrial Structure; Growth; Fluctuations - - - General, International, or Comparative
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-12-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2008-12-14 (Central Banking)
- NEP-HIS-2008-12-14 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-PKE-2008-12-14 (Post Keynesian Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fohlin,Caroline, 2011.
"Finance Capitalism and Germany's Rise to Industrial Power,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521396608, November.
- Fohlin,Caroline, 2007. "Finance Capitalism and Germany's Rise to Industrial Power," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521810203, November.
- Michael D. Bordo & Andrew Filardo, 2004.
"Deflation and Monetary Policy in a Historical Perspective: Remembering the Past or Being Condemned to Repeat It?,"
NBER Working Papers
10833, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Bordo & Andrew Filardo, 2005. "Deflation and monetary policy in a historical perspective: remembering the past or being condemned to repeat it?," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 20(44), pages 799-844, October.
- Michael D. Bordo & David C. Wheelock, 2007. "Stock market booms and monetary policy in the twentieth century," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 91-122.
- Ben S. Bernanke, 2007. "Global imbalances: recent developments and prospects," Speech 317, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- repec:fip:fedgsq:y:2007:i:sep11 is not listed on IDEAS
- Schnabel, Isabel & Shin, Hyun Song, 2001. "Foreshadowing LTCM: The Crisis of 1763," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 02-46, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim & Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Michael D. Bordo, 2006. "Sudden Stops, Financial Crises, and Original Sin in Emerging Countries: Déjà vu?," NBER Working Papers 12393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alistair Milne & Geoffrey E. Wood, 2008. "Banking crisis solutions old and new," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 517-530.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Apergis, Nicholas & Payne, James E., 2014. "Resurrecting the size effect: Evidence from a panel nonlinear cointegration model for the G7 stock markets," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 46-53.
- Gabriel Jimenez & Atif Mian & Jose-Luis Peydro & Jesus Saurina, 2011.
"Local versus aggregate lending channels : the effects of securitization on corporate credit supply in Spain,"
1126, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Gabriel Jiménez & Atif R. Mian & José-Luis Peydró & Jesús Saurina, 2010. "Local Versus Aggregate Lending Channels: The Effects Of Securitization On Corporate Credit Supply In Spain," NBER Working Papers 16595, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Annabelle Mourougane & Davide Furceri, 2010. "Une lecture de la crise à la lumière des crises passées," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 438(1), pages 19-42.
- Mohammed Dore & Rajiv Singh, 2012. "The Role of Credit in the 2007–09 Great Recession," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 40(3), pages 295-313, September.
- Cordelius Ilgmann & Ulrich van Suntum, . "Bad Banks: The Case of Germany," Working Papers 200110, Institute of Spatial and Housing Economics, Munster Universitary.
- R. Gargano & E. Otranto, 2013. "Financial Clustering in Presence of Dominant Markets," Working Paper CRENoS 201318, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Sergio Masciantonio & Andrea Tiseno, 2013.
"The rise and fall of universal banking: ups and downs of a sample of large and complex financial institutions since the late ‘90s,"
Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers)
164, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Sergio MASCIANTONIO & Andrea TISENO, 2013. "THE RISE AND FALL OF UNIVERSAL BANKING: UPS AND DOWNS OF A SAMPLE OF LARGE AND COMPLEX FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS SINCE THE LATE '90s," Journal of Advanced Studies in Finance, ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(1), pages 5-31, July.
- Masciantonio, Sergio & Tiseno, Andrea, 2012. "The rise and fall of universal banking: ups and downs of a sample of large and complex financial institutions since the late ‘90s," MPRA Paper 42494, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bates, Samuel & Vaugirard, Victor, 2009. "Monetary Transmission Channels around the Subprime Crisis : The US Experience," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/1483, Paris Dauphine University.
- Robert L. Hetzel, 2009. "Monetary policy in the 2008-2009 recession," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Spr, pages 201-233.
- Bordo, Michael D. & Haubrich, Joseph G., 2010.
"Credit crises, money and contractions: An historical view,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Michael D. Bordo & Joseph G. Haubrich, 2009. "Credit Crises, Money and Contractions: an historical view," NBER Working Papers 15389, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael D. Bordo & Joseph G. Haubrich, 2009. "Credit crises, money, and contractions: A historical view," Working Paper 0908, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Harrison, Ann & Sepulveda, Claudia, 2011. "Learning from developing country experience : growth and economic thought before and after the 2008-09 crisis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5752, The World Bank.
- Argandoña, Antonio, 2009. "Can corporate social responsibility help us understand the credit crisis?," IESE Research Papers D/790, IESE Business School.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.