An Historical Perspective on the Crisis of 2007-2008
AbstractThis paper provides an historical perspective on the crisis of 2007-2008. The crisis is part of a perennial pattern. It has echoes in earlier big international financial crises which were triggered by events in the U.S. financial system. Examples include the crises of 1857, 1893 1907 and 1929-33. This crisis has many similarities to those of the past but also some important modern twists.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 14569.
Date of creation: Dec 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- N10 - Economic History - - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics; Industrial Structure; Growth; Fluctuations - - - General, International, or Comparative
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-12-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2008-12-14 (Central Banking)
- NEP-HIS-2008-12-14 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-PKE-2008-12-14 (Post Keynesian Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael D. Bordo, 2006. "Sudden Stops, Financial Crises, and Original Sin in Emerging Countries: Déjà vu?," NBER Working Papers 12393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben S. Bernanke, 2007. "Global imbalances: recent developments and prospects," Speech 317, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Fohlin,Caroline, 2007.
"Finance Capitalism and Germany's Rise to Industrial Power,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521810203, December.
- Fohlin,Caroline, 2011. "Finance Capitalism and Germany's Rise to Industrial Power," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521396608, December.
- Schnabel, Isabel & Shin, Hyun Song, 2001. "Foreshadowing LTCM: The Crisis of 1763," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 02-46, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim & Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Alistair Milne & Geoffrey E. Wood, 2008. "Banking crisis solutions old and new," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 517-530.
- Michael D. Bordo & David C. Wheelock, 2007. "Stock market booms and monetary policy in the twentieth century," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 91-122.
- Michael D. Bordo & Andrew Filardo, 2004.
"Deflation and Monetary Policy in a Historical Perspective: Remembering the Past or Being Condemned to Repeat It?,"
NBER Working Papers
10833, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Bordo & Andrew Filardo, 2005. "Deflation and monetary policy in a historical perspective: remembering the past or being condemned to repeat it?," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 20(44), pages 799-844, October.
- repec:fip:fedgsq:y:2007:i:sep11 is not listed on IDEAS
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bates, Samuel & Vaugirard, Victor, 2009. "Monetary Transmission Channels around the Subprime Crisis : The US Experience," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/1483, Paris Dauphine University.
- Michael D. Bordo & Joseph G. Haubrich, 2009.
"Credit crises, money, and contractions: A historical view,"
0908, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Bordo, Michael D. & Haubrich, Joseph G., 2010. "Credit crises, money and contractions: An historical view," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Michael D. Bordo & Joseph G. Haubrich, 2009. "Credit Crises, Money and Contractions: an historical view," NBER Working Papers 15389, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Masciantonio, Sergio & Tiseno, Andrea, 2012.
"The rise and fall of universal banking: ups and downs of a sample of large and complex financial institutions since the late ‘90s,"
42494, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sergio MASCIANTONIO & Andrea TISENO, 2013. "THE RISE AND FALL OF UNIVERSAL BANKING: UPS AND DOWNS OF A SAMPLE OF LARGE AND COMPLEX FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS SINCE THE LATE '90s," Journal of Advanced Studies in Finance, ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(1), pages 5-31, July.
- Sergio Masciantonio & Andrea Tiseno, 2013. "The rise and fall of universal banking: ups and downs of a sample of large and complex financial institutions since the late ‘90s," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 164, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Robert L. Hetzel, 2009. "Monetary policy in the 2008-2009 recession," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Spr, pages 201-233.
- Argandoña, Antonio, 2009. "Can corporate social responsibility help us understand the credit crisis?," IESE Research Papers D/790, IESE Business School.
- Cordelius Ilgmann & Ulrich van Suntum, . "Bad Banks: The Case of Germany," Working Papers 200110, Institute of Spatial and Housing Economics, Munster Universitary.
- Mohammed Dore & Rajiv Singh, 2012. "The Role of Credit in the 2007–09 Great Recession," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 40(3), pages 295-313, September.
- Gabriel Jiménez & Atif R. Mian & José-Luis Peydró & Jesús Saurina, 2010.
"Local Versus Aggregate Lending Channels: The Effects Of Securitization On Corporate Credit Supply In Spain,"
NBER Working Papers
16595, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gabriel Jimenez & Atif Mian & Jose-Luis Peydro & Jesus Saurina, 2011. "Local versus aggregate lending channels : the effects of securitization on corporate credit supply in Spain," Proceedings 1126, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Harrison, Ann & Sepulveda, Claudia, 2011. "Learning from developing country experience : growth and economic thought before and after the 2008-09 crisis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5752, The World Bank.
- Annabelle Mourougane & Davide Furceri, 2010. "Une lecture de la crise à la lumière des crises passées," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 438(1), pages 19-42.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.