Optimal Taxation by the Monetary Authority
AbstractReserve requirements imposed against bank deposits, nominal interest payments on bank reserves (or on base money), and inflation can all be viewed as generating tax effects. Any analysis of optimal monetary policy in a steady-state equilibrium needs to consider the simultaneous choice of all the tax instruments controlled by the monetary authority. Such an analysis is carried out in this paper. It is shown that when the tax system is not indexed, the optimal nominal interest rate on the monetary authority's liabilities is likely to be zero. More importantly, any discussion of the payment of interest on reserves and currency must take into account the nature of the tax system and the rate of inflation in a nonindexed economy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 1375.
Date of creation: Jun 1984
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter A. Diamond & J. A. Mirrlees, 1968. "Optimal Taxation and Public Production," Working papers 22, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Drazen, Allan, 1979. "The optimal rate of inflation revisited," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 231-248, April.
- McCallum, Bennett T., 1983.
"The role of overlapping-generations models in monetary economics,"
Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 9-44, January.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 1982. "The Role of Overlapping-Generations Models in Monetary Economics," NBER Working Papers 0989, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harry G. Johnson, 1968. "Problems of Efficiency in Monetary Management," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 76, pages 971.
- Alan J. Auerbach, 1982.
"Taxation, Corporate Financial Policy and the Cost of Capital,"
NBER Working Papers
1026, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Auerbach, Alan J, 1983. "Taxation, Corporate Financial Policy and the Cost of Capital," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 21(3), pages 905-40, September.
- Benhabib, Jess & Bull, Clive, 1983. "The Optimal Quantity of Money: A Formal Treatment," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 24(1), pages 101-11, February.
- Brunner, Karl & Meltzer, Allan H., 1983. "Money, monetary policy, and financial institutions," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 1-7, January.
- Clower, Robert W, 1970. "Is There an Optimal Money Supply?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 425-33, May.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1976. "Optimal taxation : An introduction to the literature," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1-2), pages 37-54.
- Stockman, Alan C., 1981. "Anticipated inflation and the capital stock in a cash in-advance economy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 387-393.
- Helpman, Elhanan & Sadka, Efraim, 1979. "Optimal Financing of the Government's Budget: Taxes, Bonds, or Money?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 152-60, March.
- Siegel, Jeremy J., 1978. "Notes on optimal taxation and the optimal rate of inflation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 297-305, April.
- Lawrence H. Summers, 1979.
"Optimal Inflation Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
0354, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Atkinson, A. B. & Stiglitz, J. E., 1976. "The design of tax structure: Direct versus indirect taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1-2), pages 55-75.
- Green, Jerry & Sheshinski, Eytan, 1977. "Budget Displacement Effects of Inflationary Finance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(4), pages 671-82, September.
- Weiss, Laurence M, 1980. "The Effects of Money Supply on Economic Welfare in the Steady State," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(3), pages 565-76, April.
- Marty, Alvin L, 1978. "Inflation, Taxes, and the Public Debt," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 10(4), pages 437-52, November.
- Johnson, Harry G, 1970. "Is There an Optimal Money Supply?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 435-42, May.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1980. "Banking in the theory of finance," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 39-57, January.
- Baumol, William J & Bradford, David F, 1970. "Optimal Departures from Marginal Cost Pricing," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(3), pages 265-83, June.
- Deaton, Angus, 1979. "The Distance Function in Consumer Behaviour with Applications to Index Numbers and Optimal Taxation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 391-405, July.
- Ryu‐ichiro Murota & Yoshiyasu Ono, 2012.
"Zero Nominal Interest Rates, Unemployment, Excess Reserves And Deflation In A Liquidity Trap,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(2), pages 335-357, 05.
- Ryu-ichiro Murota & Yoshiyasu Ono, 2009. "Zero Nominal Interest Rates, Unemployment, Excess Reserves and Deflation in a Liquidity Trap," ISER Discussion Paper 0748, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Gustavo Suárez, 1999.
"Tecnología De Transacciones Endógena Y Los Costos De La Inflación,"
ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA,
BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Gustavo Suárez, . "Tecnología de Transacciones Endógena y los Costos de la Inflación," Borradores de Economia 119, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Gustavo Suárez, 1999. "Tecnología De Transacciones Endógena Y Los Costos De La Inflación," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003545, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Easterly, William & Mauro, Paolo & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus, 1992.
"Money demand and seignorage - maximizing inflation,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1049, The World Bank.
- Easterly, William & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus, 1991. "The macroeconomics of public sector deficits : a synthesis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 775, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.