Do Professional Currency Managers Beat the Benchmark?
AbstractWe investigate an index of returns on professionally managed currency funds and a subset of returns from 34 individual currency fund managers. Over the period 1990-2006, excess returns earned by currency fund managers have averaged 25 basis points per month. We examine the relationship of these returns to four factors representing returns based on carry trading, trend-following, value trading and currency volatility. These four factors explain a substantial portion of the variability in index returns in the entire period and in sub-periods. We perform similar regressions for the 34 individual funds, and find many funds where returns are significantly related to these four factors. Our approach impacts the definition of alpha returns from currency speculation, modifying it from the excess return earned by the fund, to only that portion of the excess returns not explained by the four factors. While the impact on measured alpha is substantial, we find that some currency fund managers continued to generate alpha returns in the most recent sample period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 13714.
Date of creation: Dec 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-01-05 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- King, Michael & Sarno, Lucio & Sojli, Elvira, 2010. "Timing exchange rates using order flow: The case of the Loonie," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2917-2928, December.
- Ronald MacDonald & Lukas Menkhoff & Rafael R. Rebitzky, 2009.
"Exchange rate forecasters’ performance: evidence of skill?,"
2009_13, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Ronald MacDonald & Lukas Menkhoff & Rafael R. Rebitzky, 2009. "Exchange Rate Forecasters' Performance: Evidence of Skill?," CESifo Working Paper Series 2615, CESifo Group Munich.
- MacDonald, Ronald & Menkhoff, Lukas & Rebitzky, Rafael R., 2009. "Exchange rate forecasters’ performance: evidence of skill?," SIRE Discussion Papers 2009-10, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Fratzscher, Marcel, 2008.
"How successful is the G7 in managing exchange rates?,"
Working Paper Series
0952, European Central Bank.
- Fratzscher, Marcel, 2009. "How successful is the G7 in managing exchange rates?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 78-88, September.
- Marcel Fratzscher, 2009. "How successful is the G7 in managing exchange rates?," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 24, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Òscar Jordà & Alan M. Taylor, 2009.
"The Carry Trade and Fundamentals: Nothing to Fear But FEER Itself,"
NBER Working Papers
15518, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jordà, Òscar & Taylor, Alan M., 2012. "The carry trade and fundamentals: Nothing to fear but FEER itself," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 74-90.
- Jordà, Òscar & Taylor, Alan M., 2009. "The Carry Trade and Fundamentals: Nothing to Fear But FEER Itself," CEPR Discussion Papers 7568, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Momtchil Pojarliev & Richard M. Levich, 2010. "Detecting Crowded Trades in Currency Funds," NBER Working Papers 15698, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Melvin & Duncan Shand, 2010. "Active Currency Investing and Performance Benchmarks," CESifo Working Paper Series 3052, CESifo Group Munich.
- Dimitrios Bisias & Mark Flood & Andrew W. Lo & Stavros Valavanis, 2012. "A Survey of Systemic Risk Analytics," Annual Review of Financial Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 4(1), pages 255-296, October.
- Born, Benjamin & Ehrmann, Michael & Fratzscher, Marcel, 2011.
"Central bank communication on financial stability,"
Working Paper Series
1332, European Central Bank.
- Richard M. Levich & Valerio Poti, 2008. "Predictability and 'Good Deals' in Currency Markets," NBER Working Papers 14597, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jongen, Ron & Verschoor, Willem F.C. & Wolff, Christian C.P. & Zwinkels, Remco C.J., 2012. "Explaining dispersion in foreign exchange expectations: A heterogeneous agent approach," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 719-735.
- Jylhä, Petri & Suominen, Matti, 2011. "Speculative capital and currency carry trades," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 60-75, January.
- Sam Nasypbek & Scheherazade S Rehman, 2011. "Explaining the returns of active currency managers," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Portfolio and risk management for central banks and sovereign wealth funds, volume 58, pages 211-256 Bank for International Settlements.
- Benjamin Born & Michael Ehrmann & Marcel Fratzscher, 2011.
"Macroprudential policy and central bank communication,"
BIS Papers chapters,
in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Macroprudential regulation and policy, volume 60, pages 107-110
Bank for International Settlements.
- Born, Benjamin & Ehrmann, Michael & Fratzscher, Marcel, 2010. "Macroprudential policy and central bank communication," CEPR Discussion Papers 8094, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rojahn, Joachim & Röhl, Christian W. & Frère, Eric, 2010. "Optimum Portfolio ETF Indices: Benchmarking für multidimensional diversifizierte Wertpapierportfolios," Berichte aus der Forschung der FOM 75202, FOM Hochschule für Oekonomie & Management.
- Michael Melvin & John Prins & Duncan Shand, 2013. "Forecasting Exchange Rates: An Investor Perspective," CESifo Working Paper Series 4238, CESifo Group Munich.
- Momtchil Pojarliev & Richard M. Levich, 2008.
"Trades of the Living Dead: Style Differences, Style Persistence and Performance of Currency Fund Managers,"
NBER Working Papers
14355, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pojarliev, Momtchil & Levich, Richard M., 2010. "Trades of the living dead: Style differences, style persistence and performance of currency fund managers," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 1752-1775, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.