Microeconomic Evidence on the Composition of Effective Household SavingsDuring the 1960s and 1970s
AbstractThis paper studies the impact of broad changes in the economic and financial environment on the savings rate and portfolio composition of individuals in different age groups and household types. Employing survey data, household savings are cumulated as increases in net transactable wealth observed across three benchmark dates: January-February 1962, the first half of 1970, and August-September,1911. This paper describes how savings rates and the allocation of accumulated savings across different financial and real-estate assets varied with household circumstances. A sharp turn-around is observed between the 1960s and 1970s in the profiles of saving and homeownership for younger and older households.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 1349.
Date of creation: May 1984
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as Hendershott, Patric H. (ed.) The Level and Composition of Household Saving. Cambridge, MA: Harper & Row, Ballinger, 1985.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert J. Barro & Chaipat Sahasakul, 1983.
"Measuring the Average Marginal Tax Rate from the Individual Income Tax,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
26, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Barro, Robert J & Sahasakul, Chaipat, 1983. "Measuring the Average Marginal Tax Rate from the Individual Income Tax," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56(4), pages 419-52, October.
- Barro, Robert J. & Sahasakul, Chaipat, 1983. "Measuring the Average Marginal Tax Rate from the Individual Income Tax," Scholarly Articles 3451293, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Robert J. Barro & Chaipat Sahasakul, 1983. "Measuring the Average Marginal Tax Rate from the Individual Income Tax," NBER Working Papers 1060, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Friend, Irwin & Lieberman, Charles, 1975. "Short-Run Asset Effects on Household Saving and Consumption: The Cross-Section Evidence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(4), pages 624-33, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.