How Big is the Tax Advantage to Debt?
AbstractThis paper uses an option valuation model of the firm to answer the question, "What magnitude tax advantage to debt is consistent with the range of observed corporate debt ratios?" We incorporate into the model differential personal tax rates on capital gains and ordinary income. We conclude that variations in the magnitude of bankruptcy costs across firms can not by itself account for the simultaneous existence of levered and unlevered firms. When it is possible for the value of the underlying assets to junip discretely to zero, differences across firms in the probability of this jump can account for the simultaneous existence of levered and unlevered firms. Moreover, if the tax advantage to debt is small, the annual rate of return advantage offered by optimal leverage may be so small as to make the firm indifferent about debt policy over a wide range of debt-to-firm value ratios.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 1286.
Date of creation: Jun 1985
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hayne E. Leland., 1998.
"Agency Costs, Risk Management, and Capital Structure,"
Research Program in Finance Working Papers
RPF-278, University of California at Berkeley.
- Hayne E. Leland, 1998. "Agency Costs, Risk Management, and Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(4), pages 1213-1243, 08.
- Sinha, Pankaj & Bansal, Vishakha, 2013. "Capital structure puzzle: the interrelationship between leverage, taxes and other micro economic factors," MPRA Paper 49878, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 17 Sep 2013.
- Martin Dózsa & Jakub Seidler, 2012. "Debt Contracts and Stochastic Default Barrier," Working Papers IES 2012/17, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Jun 2012.
- Andrea Gamba & Leon Gordon & Carmen Aranda Leon, 2008.
"Investment Under Uncertainty, Debt and Taxes,"
wpn08-03, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- DeAngelo, Harry & DeAngelo, Linda & Whited, Toni M., 2011. "Capital structure dynamics and transitory debt," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 235-261, February.
- Pascal Francois, 2006. "Tax loss carry-forwards and optimal leverage," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(14), pages 1075-1083.
- Nengjiu Ju & Robert Parrino & Allen M. Poteshman & Michael S. Weisbach, 2002. "Horses and Rabbits? Optimal Dynamic Capital Structure from Shareholder and Manager Perspectives," NBER Working Papers 9327, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mehdi Elhaei Sahar & Seyed Ali Vaez, 2013. "Information Asymmetry and Financing Decisions: Evidence from Iran Stock Exchange," International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, vol. 3(3), pages 105-110, July.
- Alex Kane & Alan J. Marcus & Robert L. McDonald, 1986.
"Debt Policy and the Rate of Return Premium to Leverage,"
NBER Working Papers
1439, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kane, Alex & Marcus, Alan J. & McDonald, Robert L., 1985. "Debt Policy and the Rate of Return Premium to Leverage," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(04), pages 479-499, December.
- Ilya A. Strebulaev, 2004.
"Do Tests of Capital Structure Theory Mean What They Say?,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings
646, Econometric Society.
- Ilya A. Strebulaev, 2007. "Do Tests of Capital Structure Theory Mean What They Say?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(4), pages 1747-1787, 08.
- Moyen, Nathalie, 2007. "How big is the debt overhang problem?," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 433-472, February.
- Kristoffer J. Glover & Gerhard Hambusch, 2014.
"The trade-off theory revisited: on the effect of operating leverage,"
International Journal of Managerial Finance,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 10(1), pages 2-22, January.
- Kristoffer Glover & Gerhard Hambusch, 2013. "The Trade-off Theory Revisited: On the Effect of Operating Leverage," Research Paper Series 329, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.