AbstractThis Handbook entry presents a conceptual, normative overview of the subject of taxation. It emphasizes the relationships among the main functions of taxation -- notably, raising revenue, redistributing income, and correcting externalities -- and the mapping between these functions and various forms of taxation. Different types of taxation as well as expenditures on transfers and public goods are each integrated into a common optimal tax framework with the income tax and commodity taxes at the core. Additional topics addressed include a range of dynamic issues, the unit of taxation, tax administration and enforcement, and tax equity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 12061.
Date of creation: Mar 2006
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as Polinsky, A. Mitchell and Steven Shavell (eds.) HANDBOOK OF LAW AND ECONOMICS vol. 1. Amsterdam :Elsevier, 2007.
Note: LE PE
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:JEL classification:
- H20 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - General
- H21 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Efficiency; Optimal Taxation
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
- I38 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Government Programs; Provision and Effects of Welfare Programs
- K34 - Law and Economics - - Other Substantive Areas of Law - - - Tax Law
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2006-03-11 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2006-03-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAW-2006-03-11 (Law & Economics)
- NEP-PUB-2006-03-11 (Public Finance)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jochen Hundsdoerfer & Lutz Kruschwitz & Daniela Lorenz, 2008. "Investment Valuation with Tax-optimized Financing Decisions and a Tax-optimized Default Alternative," BuR - Business Research, German Academic Association for Business Research, vol. 1(1), pages 9-24, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.