Socially Responsible Investment in Japanese Pensions
AbstractAs the level of retirement-related assets has grown, so too has public and private interest in so-called "Socially Responsible Investment" (SRI), an investment strategy that employs criteria other than the usual financial risk and return factors when selecting firms in which to invest. This study evaluates whether SRI indexes would alter portfolio risk and return patterns for the new defined contribution pension plans currently on offer in Japan. We conclude that SRI funds can be included as an option, albeit with some cost; consequently, mandatory investment in SRI portfolios cannot reasonably be justified.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 11747.
Date of creation: Nov 2005
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as Jin, Henry Hongbo & Mitchell, Olivia S. & Piggott, John, 2006. "Socially responsible investment in Japanese pensions," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 427-438, November.
Note: AG LS
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Jin, Henry Hongbo & Mitchell, Olivia S. & Piggott, John, 2006. "Socially responsible investment in Japanese pensions," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 427-438, November.
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G20 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - General
- G23 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Non-bank Financial Institutions; Financial Instruments; Institutional Investors
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-11-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-FIN-2005-11-12 (Finance)
- NEP-SEA-2005-11-12 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bauer, Rob & Otten, Roger & Rad, Alireza Tourani, 2006. "Ethical investing in Australia: Is there a financial penalty?," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 33-48, January.
- Aris Solomon & Jill Solomon & Megumi Suto, 2004. "Can the UK Experience Provide Lessons for the Evolution of SRI in Japan?," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(4), pages 552-566, October.
- Kiyohiko G. Nishimura & Makoto Saito, 2003. "On Alternatives to Aggressive Demand Policies to Revitalize the Japanese Economy," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 2(3), pages 87-126.
- Alan Gregory & John Matatko & Robert Luther, 1997. "Ethical Unit Trust Financial Performance: Small Company Effects and Fund Size Effects," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(5), pages 705-725.
- Kato, Hideaki Kiyoshi & Loewenstein, Uri & Tsay, Wenyuh, 2002. "Dividend policy, cash flow, and investment in Japan," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 443-473, September.
- Hiraki, Takato & Inoue, Hideaki & Ito, Akitoshi & Kuroki, Fumiaki & Masuda, Hiroyuki, 2003. "Corporate governance and firm value in Japan: Evidence from 1985 to 1998," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 239-265, July.
- Chami, Ralph & Cosimano, Thomas F. & Fullenkamp, Connel, 2002. "Managing ethical risk: How investing in ethics adds value," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(9), pages 1697-1718, September.
- Bauer, Rob & Koedijk, Kees & Otten, Roger, 2005. "International evidence on ethical mutual fund performance and investment style," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1751-1767, July.
- Gunther Capelle-Blancard & Stéphanie Monjon, 2011.
"The Performance of Socially Responsible Funds: Does the Screening Process Matter?,"
2011-12, CEPII research center.
- Capelle-Blancard, Gunther & Monjon, Stéphanie, 2014. "The Performance of Socially Responsible Funds : Does the Screening Process Matter ?," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7347, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.