International Policy Coordination in a Dynamic Macroeconomic Model
AbstractThis paper illustrates the role for macroeconomic policy coordination when interdependent economies are pursuing disinflationary policies. Under flexible exchangerates, policy makers have an incentive to reduce inflation by pursuing contractionary policies that yield a currency appreciation. In a Nash, perfect foresight equilibrium,policy authorities in the model pursue contractionary policies to achieve currency appreciation, but these attempts cancel out, with the result that all countries end up pursuing excessively contractionary policies (relative to asymmetric Pareto optimum). The paper presents these resultsin a two-country, infinite-horizon difference game.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 1166.
Date of creation: Jul 1983
Date of revision:
Note: ITI IFM
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Willem H. Buiter & Marcus H. Miller, 1980. "Monetary Policy and International Competitiveness," NBER Working Papers 0591, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matthew B. Canzoneri & Jo Anna Gray, 1983. "Two essays on monetary policy in an interdependent world," International Finance Discussion Papers 219, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bresnahan, Timothy F, 1981. "Duopoly Models with Consistent Conjectures," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 934-45, December.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Kahn, Charles M, 1980. "The Solution of Linear Difference Models under Rational Expectations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(5), pages 1305-11, July.
- Coenen, Günter & Lombardo, Giovanni & Smets, Frank & Straub, Roland, 2008.
"International transmission and monetary policy cooperation,"
Working Paper Series
0858, European Central Bank.
- Günter Coenen & Giovanni Lombardo & Frank Smets & Roland Straub, 2007. "International Transmission and Monetary Policy Cooperation," NBER Chapters, in: International Dimensions of Monetary Policy, pages 157-192 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth S. Rogoff, 1983. "Productive and counterproductive cooperative monetary policies," International Finance Discussion Papers 233, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Benigno, Gianluca & Benigno, Pierpaolo, 2003.
"Designing targeting rules for international monetary policy cooperation,"
Working Paper Series
0279, European Central Bank.
- Benigno, Gianluca & Benigno, Pierpaolo, 2006. "Designing targeting rules for international monetary policy cooperation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 473-506, April.
- Gerken, Egbert, 1985. "Auf dem Wege zu einer Theorie der internationalen Koordination der Agrarpolitik," Kiel Working Papers 229, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Cohen Daniel & Wyplosz Ch., 1990.
"Price and trade effects of exchange rates fluctuations and the design of policy coordination,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Cohen, Daniel & Wyplosz, Charles, 1995. "Price and trade effects of exchange rate fluctuations and the design of policy coordination," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 331-347, June.
- Cohen, Daniel & Wyplosz, Charles, 1990. "Price and Trade Effects of Exchange Rate Fluctuations and the Design of Policy Coordinaton," CEPR Discussion Papers 440, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cohen, D. & Wyplosz, C., 1990. "Price and Trade Effects of Exchange Rates Fluctuations and the Design of Policy Coordination," DELTA Working Papers 90-19, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Gilles Oudiz & Jeffrey Sachs, 1984. "International Policy Coordination in Dynamic Macroeconomic Models," NBER Working Papers 1417, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.