Shunto, Rational Expectations, and Output Growth in Japan
AbstractThis paper describes a theoretical and empirical study of the Japanese macroeconomy that focuses on the role of predetermined nominal wages in the relation between monetary policy and aggregate output. The main features of the model are that nominal wage rates set at Shunto are equal to rational expectations of the nominal wage rates that would be consistent with target levels of real output and that firms determine employment and output by equating marginal productivities to real wage rates. The essential implication of the model is that the current deviation of aggregate output from its target level depends only on innovations in inflation and productivity since the last Shunto. The equation derived to implement the model empirically relates current aggregate output growth in a precise way to past values of output growth and inflation since the last Shunto and includes an explicit specification of a white noise error term. The results of econometric analysis of this restricted model equation are consistent with the hypothesis that nominal wages predetermined according to Shunto with rational expectations are important tor the determination of real aggregates. The empirical analysis, however, also suggests that the assumptions about monetary policy used to close the model are not adequate, a result that leads to directions for further research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 1144.
Date of creation: Jun 1983
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as Empirical Economics, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 193-213, (1989).
Note: EFG ME
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Grossman, H I & Haraf, W S, 1989. "Shunto, Rational Expectations, and Output Growth in Japan," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 193-213.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fischer, Stanley, 1977. "Long-Term Contracts, Rational Expectations, and the Optimal Money Supply Rule," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(1), pages 191-205, February.
- Boschen, John F. & Grossman, Herschel I., 1982.
"Tests of equilibrium macroeconomics using contemporaneous monetary data,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 309-333.
- John F. Boschen & Herschel I. Grossman, 1981. "Tests of Equilibrium Macroeconomics Using Contemporaneous Monetary Data," NBER Working Papers 0558, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sanvi Avouyi-Dovi & Denis Fougère & Erwan Gautier, 2013.
"Wage Rigidity, Collective Bargaining, and the Minimum Wage: Evidence from French Agreement Data,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 95(4), pages 1337-1351, October.
- Avouyi-Dovi, Sanvi & Fougère, Denis & Gautier, Erwan, 2011. "Wage Rigidity, Collective Bargaining and the Minimum Wage: Evidence from French Agreement Data," IZA Discussion Papers 5835, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gautier, Erwan & Fougère, Denis & Avouyi-Dovi, Sanvi, 2013. "Wage Rigidity, Collective Bargaining and the Minimum Wage: Evidence from French Agreement Data," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/11158, Paris Dauphine University.
- Avouyi-Dovi, S. & Fougère, D. & Gautier, E., 2010. "Wage rigidity, collective bargaining and the minimum wage: evidence from French agreement data," Working papers 287, Banque de France.
- Avouyi-Dovi, Sanvi & Fougère, Denis & Gautier, Erwan, 2010. "Wage Rigidity, Collective Bargaining and the Minimum Wage: Evidence from French Agreement Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 7932, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giovanni Olivei & Silvana Tenreyro, 2010.
"Wage setting patterns and monetary policy: international evidence,"
10-8, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Olivei, Giovanni & Tenreyro, Silvana, 2010. "Wage-setting patterns and monetary policy: International evidence," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(7), pages 785-802, October.
- Giovanni Olivei & Silvana Tenreyro, 2008. "Wage Setting Patterns and Monetary Policy: International Evidence," CEP Discussion Papers dp0872, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Giovanni Olivei & Silvana Tenreyro, 2008. "Wage setting patterns and monetary policy: international evidence," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19572, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.