The Euro and the Stability Pact
AbstractThis paper begins by discussing the inherent conflict between the simultaneous existence of a single currency for the countries of the European Economic and Monetary Union (EMU) and the independent fiscal policies of those countries. The Stability and Growth Pact was an attempt to reconcile that conflict. I describe how EMU governments have chosen to ignore the Stability Pact's constraint on budget deficits and how they sought to undermine it by changing the rules themselves. The final part of the paper describes the actual resolution of the issue by the agreement reached at the end of March 2005 by the European Council. The new policy effectively abandons the Stability Pact and leaves the way open to much larger sustained deficits.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 11249.
Date of creation: Apr 2005
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as Feldstein, Martin. "The Euro And The Stability Pact," Journal of Policy Modeling, 2005, v27(4,Jun), 421-426.
Note: EFG IFM PE POL
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- F4 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-04-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2005-04-09 (European Economics)
- NEP-MON-2005-04-09 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-PKE-2005-04-09 (Post Keynesian Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Lessons from the crisis
by Alberto Bagnai in Goofynomics on 2013-12-27 22:36:00
- Lezioni dalla crisi: perchÃ© il Parlamento dovrebbe sfiduciare la Commissione
by Alberto Bagnai in Goofynomics on 2013-12-28 18:32:00
- Audizione informale alla Commissione Finanze: il mio discorso di fine anno
by Alberto Bagnai in Goofynomics on 2013-12-31 19:29:00
- Alberto vs. Alberto: la moralitÃ di Maastricht...
by Alberto Bagnai in Goofynomics on 2014-04-30 09:17:00
- Richard Morris & Hedwig Ongena & Ludger Schuknecht, 2006. "The reform and implementation of the Stability and Growth Pact," Occasional Paper Series 47, European Central Bank.
- Sterner, Thomas & Muller, Adrian, 2006.
"Output and Abatement Effects of Allocation Readjustment in Permit Trade,"
dp-06-49, Resources For the Future.
- Muller, Adrian & Sterner, Thomas, 2009. "Output and Abatement Effects of Allocation Readjustment in Permit Trade," Working Papers in Economics 413, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Bernadeta Baran, 2012. "Effectiveness of Fiscal Policy Coordination Rules in the Monetary Union," Equilibrium, Uniwersytet Mikolaja Kopernika, vol. 7, pages 73-91.
- Kocenda, Evzen & Kutan, Ali M. & Yigit, Taner M., 2008. "Fiscal convergence in the European Union," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 319-330, December.
- Vyprachticka, Terezie, 2011.
"Could the Stability and Growth Pact be Substituted by the Financial Markets?,"
European Integration online Papers (EIoP),
European Community Studies Association Austria (ECSA-A), vol. 15, 09.
- Terezie Lokajickova, 2010. "Could the Stability and Growth Pact Be Substituted by the Financial Markets?," Working Papers IES 2010/30, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Dec 2010.
- Huber, Bernd & Runkel, Marco, 2008.
"Interregional redistribution and budget institutions under asymmetric information,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 92(12), pages 2350-2361, December.
- Bernd Huber & Marco Runkel, 2005. "Interregional Redistribution and Budget Institutions under Asymmetric Information," CESifo Working Paper Series 1491, CESifo Group Munich.
- Drazen Derado, 2009. "Financial Integration and Financial Crisis: Croatia Approaching The EMU," Financial Theory and Practice, Institute of Public Finance, vol. 33(3), pages 299-328.
- Landon, Stuart & Smith, Constance E., 2007. "Government debt spillovers in a monetary union," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 135-154, August.
- Golinelli, Roberto & Momigliano, Sandro, 2006. "Real-time determinants of fiscal policies in the euro area," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 943-964, December.
- Roberto Golinelli & Sandro Momigliano, 2006. "Real-time determinants of fiscal policies in the euro area: Fiscal rules, cyclical conditions and elections," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 609, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Dietrichson, Jens & Ellegård, Lina Maria, 2011. "Institutions promoting budgetary discipline: evidence from Swedish municipalities," Working Papers 2011:8, Lund University, Department of Economics, revised 20 Dec 2012.
- Győrffy, Dóra, 2008.
"Költségvetési kiigazítás és növekedés az Európai Unióban. Tanulságok Magyarország számára
[Budget adjustment and growth in the European Union lessons for Hungary]," Közgazdasági Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), Közgazdasági Szemle Alapítvány (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(11), pages 962-986.
- Paolo Manasse, 2005.
"Deficit Limits, Budget Rules and Fiscal Policy,"
- Bonatti, Luigi & Cristini, Annalisa, 2008.
"Breaking the Stability Pact: Was it predictable?,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 793-810.
- Ferré Carracedo, Montserrat, 2011.
"The effects of uncertainty about countries' compliance with the Stability and Growth Pact,"
2072/169686, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Ferré, Montserrat, 2012. "The effects of uncertainty about countries’ compliance with the Stability and Growth Pact," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 660-674.
- Alberto Bagnai, 2014. "Un external compact per rilanciare l'Europa," a/ Working Papers Series 1401, Italian Association for the Study of Economic Asymmetries, Rome (Italy).
- Feldstein, Martin, 2013. "Coordination in the European Union," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 434-439.
- Martin Larch & Jo�o Nogueira Martins, 2007. "Fiscal indicators - Proceedings of the the Directorate-General for Economic and Financial Affairs Workshop held on 22 September 2006 in Brussels," European Economy - Economic Papers 297, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.