Are High Income Individuals Better Stock Market Investors?
AbstractThis paper presents evidence that the corporate stock owned by high income investors appreciates substantially faster than the stock owned by investors with lower incomes. Those with very high incomes enjoy the greatest success on their investments while those with incomes under $20,000 have the least success. The evidence indicates that the differences are large and that they have persisted for a long time.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 0948.
Date of creation: Jul 1982
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1979. "An Empirical Test of the Lock-in Effect of the Capital Gains Tax," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 61(4), pages 626-29, November.
- Joel Slemrod, 1978. "The Lock-In Effect of the Capital Gains Tax: Some Time Series Evidence," NBER Working Papers 0257, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John G. Cragg & Burton G. Malkiel, 1980. "Expectations and Valuation of Shares," NBER Working Papers 0471, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feldstein, Martin & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1978. "The effects of the capital gains tax on the selling and switching of common stock," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 17-36, February.
- Martin Feldstein & Joel Slemrod & Shlomo Yitzhaki, 1981.
"The Effects of Taxation on the Selling of Corporate Stock and the Realization of Capital Gains,"
NBER Working Papers
0250, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feldstein, Martin & Slemrod, Joel & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1980. "The Effects of Taxation on the Selling of Corporate Stock and the Realization of Capital Gains," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 94(4), pages 777-91, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.