Effect of Minimum Wages on Human Capital Formation
AbstractThe hypothesis that minimum wages tend to discourage on the job training is largely supported by our empirical analysis. Direct effects on reported job training and corollary effects on wage growth as estimated in microdata of the National Longitudinal Samples (NLS) and Michigan Income Dynamics (MID) are consistently negative and stronger at lower education levels. Apart from a single exception, no effects are observable among the higher wage group whose education exceeds high school. The effects on job turnover are: a decrease in turnover among young NLS whites, but an increase among young NLS blacks and MID whites. Whether these apparently conflicting findings on turnover reflect a distinction between short and long run adjustments in jobs is a question that requires further testing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 0441.
Date of creation: Feb 1980
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacob Mincer & Boyan Jovanovic, 1982.
"Labor Mobility and Wages,"
NBER Working Papers
0357, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. Wilson Mixon & Jr, 1978. "The minimum wage and voluntary labor mobility," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 32(1), pages 67-73, October.
- Robert Swidinsky, 1980. "Minimum Wages and Teenage Unemployment," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 13(1), pages 158-71, February.
- Paula Herrera & Luie Eduardo Arango & Carlos Estéban Posada, 2007.
"El salario mínimo aspectos generales sobre los casos de Colombia y otros paises,"
DOCUMENTOS DE ECONOMÃA
003944, UNIVERSIDAD JAVERIANA - BOGOTÁ.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Paula Herrera & Carlos Esteban Posada, 2008. "El salario mínimo: aspectos generales sobre los casos de Colombia y otros países," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Paula Herrera & Carlos Esteban Posada, 2007. "El salario mínimo: aspectos generales sobre los casos de Colombia y otros paises," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002544, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Paula Herrera & Carlos Esteban Posada, . "El salario mínimo: aspectos generales sobre los casos de Colombia y otros países," Borradores de Economia 436, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.