A Fiscal Theory of Hyperdeflations? Some Surprising Monetarist Arithmetic
AbstractThe note mines an unsuspected lode in the Sargent-Wallace "Unpleasant Monetarist Arithmetic" deposit. While that model is shown to be incapable of generating hyperinflations as a result of large monetized public sector deficits, it can generate hyperdeflations or perhaps more accurately, the first stages of an unsustainable process of hyperdeflation. The drawing of policy conclusions is left as an exercise for the reader.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Technical Working Papers with number 0052.
Date of creation: Nov 1985
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Buiter, Willem H, 1987. "A Fiscal Theory of Hyperdeflations? Some Surprising Monetarist Arithmetic," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 39(1), pages 111-18, March.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alexandre Sokic, 2007. "Monetary hyperinflations and money essentiality," Working Papers of BETA 2007-21, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Buiter, Willem H, 1999.
"The Fallacy of the Fiscal Theory of the Price Level,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2205, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- W.H. Buiter, 2000. "The Fallacy of the Fiscal Theory of the Price Level," CEP Discussion Papers dp0447, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Willem H. Buiter, 1999. "The Fallacy of the Fiscal Theory of the Price Level," NBER Working Papers 7302, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vazquez, Jesus, 1998. "How high can inflation get during hyperinflation? A transaction cost demand for money approach," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 433-451, August.
- Vázquez Pérez, Jesús & Gutiérrez Huerta, María José, 2002. "Explosive Hyperinflation, Inflation Tax Laffer Curve and Modelling the use of Money," DFAEII Working Papers 2002-27, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
- Alexandre Sokic, 2012.
"The Monetary Analysis of Hyperinflation and the Appropriate Specification of the Demand for Money,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 13(2), pages 142-160, 05.
- Sokic, Alexandre, 2010. "The monetary analysis of hyperinflation and the appropriate specification of the demand for money," MPRA Paper 21503, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Willem H. Buiter, 2001.
"The fallacy of the fiscal theory of the price level, again,"
Bank of England working papers
141, Bank of England.
- Willem Buiter, 2000. "The Fallacy of the Fiscal Theory of the Price Level, Again," CESifo Working Paper Series 303, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.