Is There Chronic Excess Supply of Labor? Designing a Statistical Test
AbstractIn this paper we present and implement a statistical test of the hypothesis that the labor market has chronic excess supply. The procedure is to estimate a disequilibrium labor market model, and construct a test statistic based on the unconditional probability that there is excess supply each period. We find that the data reject the hypothesis of chronic excess supply. Hence, one cannot assume that all observations lie on the demand curve.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Technical Working Papers with number 0046.
Date of creation: Apr 1985
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Quandt, Richard E. & Rosen, Harvey S., 1985. "Is there chronic excess supply of labor? : Designing a statistical test," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 193-197.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eaton, Jonathan & Quandt, Richard E, 1983. "A Model of Rationing and Labour Supply: Theory and Estimation," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 50(199), pages 221-33, August.
- Rosen, Harvey S & Quandt, Richard E, 1978. "Estimation of a Disequilibrium Aggregate Labor Market," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(3), pages 371-79, August.
- Romer, David, 1981. "Rosen and Quandt's Disequilibrium Model of the Labor Market: A Revision," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(1), pages 145-46, February.
- Sarantis, Nicholas C., 1981. "Employment, labor supply and real wages in market disequilibrium," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 335-354.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.