Saddlepoint Problems in Contifuous Time Rational Expectations Models: A General Method and Some Macroeconomic Ehamples
AbstractThe paper presents a general solution method for rational expectations models that can be represented by systems of. deterministic first order linear differential equations with constant coefficients. It is the continuous time adaptation of the method of Blanchard and Kahn. To obtain a unique solution there must be as many linearly independent boundary conditions as there are linearly independent state variables. Three slightly different versions of a well-known small open economy macroeconomic model were used to illustrate three fairly general ways of specifying the required boundary conditions. The first represents the standard case in which the number of stable characteristic roots equals the number of predetermined variables. The second represents the case where the number of stable roots exceeds the number of predetermined variables but equals the number of predetermined variables plus the number of "backward-looking" but non-predetermined variables whose discontinuities are linear functions of the discontinuities in the forward-looking variables. The third represents the case where the number of unstable roots is less than the number of forward-looking state variables. For the last case, boundary conditions are suggested that involve linear restrictions on the values of the state variables at a future date. The method of this paper permits the numerical solution of models with large numbers of state variables. Any combination of anticipated or unanticipated, current or future and permanent or transitory shocks can be analyzed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Technical Working Papers with number 0020.
Date of creation: Jun 1984
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as Buiter, Willem H. "Saddlepoint Problems in Continuous Time Rational Expectations Modelq: A General Method and Rome Macroeconomic Examples." Econometriaa, Vod. 52, No. 3, (may 1984), pp. 665-680.
Note: ITI IFM
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Buiter, Willem H, 1984. "Saddlepoint Problems in Continuous Time Rational Expectations Models: A General Method and Some Macroeconomic Examples," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 665-80, May.
- Buiter, W, 1982. "Saddlepoint Problems in Continuous Time Rational Expectations Models : A General Method and Some Macroeconomic Examples," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 200, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1976. "Expectations and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1161-76, December.
- Flood, Robert P & Garber, Peter M, 1980. "Market Fundamentals versus Price-Level Bubbles: The First Tests," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(4), pages 745-70, August.
- Krugman, Paul, 1979. "A Model of Balance-of-Payments Crises," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 11(3), pages 311-25, August.
- Brock, William A., 1975. "A simple perfect foresight monetary model," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 133-150, April.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard, 1980. "The Monetary Mechanism in the Light of Rational Expectations," NBER Chapters, in: Rational Expectations and Economic Policy, pages 75-116 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wilson, Charles A, 1979. "Anticipated Shocks and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(3), pages 639-47, June.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Fischer, Stanley, 1980. "Exchange Rates and the Current Account," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 960-71, December.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Kahn, Charles M, 1980. "The Solution of Linear Difference Models under Rational Expectations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(5), pages 1305-11, July.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.