Monetary transmission mechanism in Poland.The strenght and delays
AbstractMonetary transmission mechanism is in the core of central banking. Its understanding however seems to be especially important within direct inflation targeting strategy. In particular, it facilitates the adequate setting of headline interest rates, consistent with declared objectives of the monetary policy. This paper looks into the strength of the monetary transmission mechanism in Poland as well as the delays in this process. It does so by using a new version of the small structural model of monetary transmission mechanism in Poland. There are three major differences between the new version of the model and the previous one, discussed in detail in Lyziak (2001). Firstly, in the version of the model presented in this paper, the interest rate channel and the banklending channel are modelled jointly. Secondly, due to the use of more adequate measures of the real exchange rate and a change of the sample period, both direct and indirect (demand) effects of the exchange rate channel are captured. Thirdly, in the new version of the model price behaviour of selected items of the consumer basket - i.e. foodstuffs, oil and remaining items - is modelled separately. Based on the model simulations, the paper confirms that the effectiveness of the monetary transmission mechanism in Poland has increased. It is reflected in a relatively stronger impact of interest rate impulses on inflation relative to the conclusions from the previous version of the model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute in its series National Bank of Poland Working Papers with number 26.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 00-919 Warszawa ul. Świętokrzyska 11/21
Phone: (0-22) 653 10 00
Fax: (0-22) 620 85 18
Web page: http://www.nbp.pl/Homen.aspx?f=en/publikacje/materialy_i_studia/informacja_en.html
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Charemza , Wojciech W. & Makarov, Svetlana, 2005.
"Ex-ante dynamics of real effects of monetary policy: Theory and evidence for Poland and Russia, 2001-2003,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
20/2005, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Wojciech W Charemza & Svetlana Makarova, 2006. "Ex ante Dynamics of Real Effects of Monetary Policy: Theory and Evidence for Poland and Russia, 2001–2003," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(3), pages 458-479, September.
- Gulbin Sahinbeyoglu, 2001. "Monetary Transmission Mechanism : A View From A High Inflationary Environment," Discussion Papers 0101, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Roberto Golinelli & Riccardo Rovelli, 2002.
"Monetary Policy Transmission, Interest Rate Rules and Inflation Targeting in Three Transition Countries,"
Eastward Enlargement of the Euro-zone Working Papers
wp10, Free University Berlin, Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence, revised 01 Aug 2002.
- Golinelli, Roberto & Rovelli, Riccardo, 2005. "Monetary policy transmission, interest rate rules and inflation targeting in three transition countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 183-201, January.
- Sanvi Avouyi-Dovi & Rafał Kierzenkowski & Catherine Lubochinsky, 2006.
"Cycles réel et du crédit : convergence ou divergence ?. Une comparaison Pologne, Hongrie, République tchèque et zone euro,"
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 57(4), pages 851-879.
- Avouyi-Dovi, Sanvi & Kierzenkowski, Rafal & Lubochinsky, Catherine, 2006. "Cycles réel et du crédit : convergence ou divergence ? Une comparaison Pologne, Hongrie, République tchèque et zone euro," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5488, Paris Dauphine University.
- Christophe Hurlin & Rafal Kierzenkowski, 2002. "A Theoretical and Empirical Assessment of the Bank Lending Channel and Loan Market Disequilibrium in Poland," National Bank of Poland Working Papers 22, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- Adrián Armas & Francisco Grippa, 2005.
"Targeting Inflation in a Dollarized Economy: The Peruvian Experience,"
Research Department Publications
4423, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Adrián Armas & Francisco Grippa, 2005. "Targeting Inflation in a Dollarized Economy: The Peruvian Experience," IDB Publications 6827, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Adrián Armas & Francisco Grippa, 2008. "Metas de inflación en una economía dolarizada: La experiencia del Perú," Revista de Análisis del BCB, Banco Central de Bolivia, vol. 10(1), pages 7-44, December.
- Kierzenkowski, Rafal, 2005. "The multi-regime bank lending channel and the effectiveness of the Polish monetary policy transmission during transition," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Adrián Armas & Francisco Grippa, 2005. "Fijación de metas inflacionarias en una economía dolarizada: la experiencia de Perú," Research Department Publications 4424, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Avouyi-Dovi, S. & Kierzenkowski, R. & Lubochinsky, C., 2006. "Are Business and Credit Cycles Converging or Diverging? A comparison of Poland, Hungary, the Czech Republic and the Euro Area," Working papers 144, Banque de France.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ewa Szymecka).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.