R&D in the Belgian Pharmaceutical Sector
AbstractThe Belgian pharmaceutical sector has been accorded a leading role in the attainment of the R&D investment targets which the EU Member States set themselves as part of the Lisbon strategy. To gain a better insight into that sector’s research activities, the NBB conducted an ad hoc survey in 2005, covering pharmaceutical companies active in Belgium in the field of research, production and distribution of drugs for human use. The analysis of the information obtained from that survey makes up the main body of this working paper. The survey results do not only confirm the importance of the research activities conducted by Belgian establishments, but also indicate the frequent cooperation with other research centres and the crucial importance of expertise as a factor influencing the location of such activities in Belgium. The breakdown of the survey results by kind of establishment on the basis of the type of activities conducted in Belgium reveals further clear differences of emphasis in the nature of the R&D activities pursued in Belgium and divergences in the scale of the resources used. The paper also comprises a number of annexes giving additional information on the sector. More particularly, they deal with added value and employment, the indirect effects and profitability of the pharmaceutical companies, and background information on reference reimbursement of drugs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bank of Belgium in its series Working Paper Document with number 106.
Length: 80 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Boulevard de Berlaimont 14, B-1000 Bruxelles
Phone: (+ 32) (0) 2 221 25 34
Fax: (+ 32) (0) 2 221 31 62
Web page: http://www.nbb.be/
More information through EDIRC
pharmaceutical industry; R&D; reference reimbursement;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
- L65 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Chemicals; Rubber; Drugs; Biotechnology
- O3 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-12-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2006-12-22 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-INO-2006-12-22 (Innovation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul R. Masson, 2000.
"Fiscal Policy and Growth in the Context of European Integration,"
IMF Working Papers
00/133, International Monetary Fund.
- Paul Masson, 2000. "Fiscal policy and growth in the context of European integration," Working Paper Research 07, National Bank of Belgium.
- Masson, P., 2000. "Fiscal Policy and Growth in the Context of European Integration," Papers 7, Warwick - Development Economics Research Centre.
- Danny Cassimon & Peter-Jan Engelen & Hilde Meersman & Martine Van Wouwe, 2002. "Investment, uncertainty and irreversibility: evidence from belgian accounting data," Working Paper Research 23, National Bank of Belgium.
- Philippe Jeanfils, 2001.
"A guided tour of the world of rational expectations models and optimal policies,"
Working Paper Research
16, National Bank of Belgium.
- Jeanfils, P., 2001. "A Guided Tour of the World of Rational Expectations Models and Optimal Policies," Papers 16, Warwick - Development Economics Research Centre.
- John Vickers, 2000. "Monetary union and economic growth," Working Paper Research 10, National Bank of Belgium.
- Michele Cincera, 2003.
"Financing constraints, fixed capital and R&D investment decisions of Belgian firms,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/883, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Michele Cincera, 2002. "Financing constraints, fixed capital and R&D investment decisions of belgian firms," Working Paper Research 32, National Bank of Belgium.
- Charles Wyplosz, 2000. "Economic growth and the labor markets: Europe's challenge," Working Paper Research 08, National Bank of Belgium.
- Ronald MacDonald, 2000. "The role of the exchange rate in economic growth: a euro-zone perspective," Working Paper Research 09, National Bank of Belgium.
- Nyssens, A. & Butzen, P. & Bisciari, P., 2000.
"Performances economiques des Etats-Unis dans les annees nonante,"
3, Warwick - Development Economics Research Centre.
- Alain Nyssens & Paul Butzen & Patrick Bisciari, 2000. "Performances économiques des Etats-Unis dans les années nonante," Working Paper Document 03, National Bank of Belgium.
- Frank Smets & Raf Wouters, 2002.
"An estimated dynamic stochastic general equilibrium model of the euro area,"
Working Paper Research
35, National Bank of Belgium.
- Frank Smets & Raf Wouters, 2003. "An Estimated Dynamic Stochastic General Equilibrium Model of the Euro Area," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(5), pages 1123-1175, 09.
- Luc Aucremanne & Guy Brys & Peter J Rousseeuw & Anja Struyf & Mia Hubert, 2003.
"Inflation, relative prices and nominal rigidities,"
BIS Papers chapters,
in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Monetary policy in a changing environment, volume 19, pages 81-105
Bank for International Settlements.
- Patrick Bisciari, 2001.
Working Paper Document
14, National Bank of Belgium.
- Marcel Gérard & Frédéric Verscueren, 2002. "Finance, uncertainty and investment: assessing the gains and losses of a generalized non linear structural approach using Belgian panel data," Working Paper Research 26, National Bank of Belgium.
- Quentin Wibaut, 2000. "Politique monétaire et prix des actifs: le cas des Etats-Unis," Working Paper Document 11, National Bank of Belgium.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.