Simulating The Effects Of The European Single Market: A Cge Analysis For Spain
AbstractIn this paper we provide an empirical assessment of two of the measures proposed in the context of the European Single Market, namely, easing the provision of domestic and foreign services, and modifying the rules of public procurement, for the case of Spain. We build and simulate a computable general equilibrium (CGE) model, which incorporates three particular features: (i) increasing returns to scale and a noncompetitive price rule; (ii) sectoral export demand functions; and (iii) equilibrium unemployment according to a matching function approach.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra in its series Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra with number 0503.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Campus de Arrosadía - 31006 Pamplona (Spain)
Phone: 34 948 169340
Fax: 34 948 169 721
Web page: http://www.econ.unavarra.es
Postal: Papers are not sent in a centralized mode. You can download them with ftp, or contact the authors.
Other versions of this item:
- Bajo-Rubio, Oscar & Gomez-Plana, Antonio G., 2005. "Simulating the effects of the European Single Market: A CGE analysis for Spain," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 689-709, September.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Antonio G. Gómez-Plana, . "Simulating the effects of the European single market: a CGE analysis for Spain," Studies on the Spanish Economy 208, FEDEA.
- D58 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Computable and Other Applied General Equilibrium Models
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F17 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Forecasting and Simulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-10-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2005-10-08 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-EEC-2005-10-08 (European Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Equilibrium Unemployment Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262161877.
- Burda, Michael & Wyplosz, Charles, 1994.
"Gross worker and job flows in Europe,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 1287-1315, June.
- Óscar Bajo Rubio & Antonio Gómez Gómez-Plana, 2001.
"Reducing social contributions on unskilled labour as a way of fighting unemployment: An empirical evaluation for the case of Spain,"
Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de EconomÃa - Universidad PÃºblica de Navarra
0102, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Antonio G. Gómez-Plana, 2004. "Reducing Social Contributions for Unskilled Labor as a Way of Fighting Unemployment: An Empirical Evaluation for the Case of Spain," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 60(2), pages 160-, August.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Antonio G. Gómez-Plana, . "Reducing social contributions on unskilled labour as a way of fighting unemployment: An empirical evaluation for the case of Spain," Studies on the Spanish Economy 107, FEDEA.
- Harry Flam, 1992. "Product Markets and 1992: Full Integration, Large Gains?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(4), pages 7-30, Fall.
- Óscar Bajo Rubio & Antonio Gómez Gómez-Plana, 2000. "The Role of Country Size and Returns to Scale in Empirical Assessments of Economic Integration: The Case of Spain," Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de EconomÃa - Universidad PÃºblica de Navarra 0005, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
- Shoven,John B. & Whalley,John, 1992.
"Applying General Equilibrium,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521319867.
- Balistreri, Edward J., 2002. "Operationalizing equilibrium unemployment: A general equilibrium external economies approach," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 347-374, March.
- Inmaculada Garcia & Jose Alberto Molina, 1998. "Household labour supply with rationing in Spain," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 30(12), pages 1557-1570.
- Francois, Joseph, 1998. "Scale Economies and Imperfect Competition in the GTAP Model," GTAP Technical Papers 317, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Ballard, Charles L & Shoven, John B & Whalley, John, 1985. "General Equilibrium Computations of the Marginal Welfare Costs of Taxes in the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(1), pages 128-38, March.
- Dervis, Kemal & de Melo, Jaime & Robinson, Sherman, 1981. "A General Equilibrium Analysis of Foreign Exchange Shortages in a Developing Economy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 91(364), pages 891-906, December.
- Lourdes Moreno, 1997. "The determinants of Spanish industrial exports to the European Union," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 29(6), pages 723-732.
- Rutherford, Thomas F, 1999. "Applied General Equilibrium Modeling with MPSGE as a GAMS Subsystem: An Overview of the Modeling Framework and Syntax," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 14(1-2), pages 1-46, October.
- Howe, Howard, 1975. "Development of the extended linear expenditure system from simple saving assumptions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 305-310, July.
- Henk Kox & Arjan Lejour & Raymond Montizaan, 2004. "The free movement of services within the EU," CPB Document 69, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Willenbockel, Dirk, 2004. "Specification choice and robustness in CGE trade policy analysis with imperfect competition," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 1065-1099, December.
- de Bruijn, Roland & Kox, Henk & Lejour, Arjan, 2008. "Economic benefits of an Integrated European Market for Services," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 301-319.
- Latorre, María C. & Bajo-Rubio, Oscar & Gómez-Plana, Antonio G., 2009. "The effects of multinationals on host economies: A CGE approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 851-864, September.
- Bianka Dettmer, 2012. "The European Union's service directive: Contrasting ex ante estimates with empirical evidence," Jena Economic Research Papers 2012-019, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Antonio G. Gómez-Plana & Oscar Bajo-Rubio, . "Algunos efectos del mercado único europeo sobre la economía española: Un análisis a través de un modelo de equilibrio general aplicado," Studies on the Spanish Economy 213, FEDEA.
- Bianka Dettmer, 2012. "Business services outsourcing and economic growth: Evidence from a dynamic panel data approach," Jena Economic Research Papers 2012-049, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Javier Puértolas).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.