The non-government organizations in Slovakia and Austria and the current state of their self-financing
AbstractIn this paper we map the development of the NGO sector in Slovakia and Austria. In the context of a common historical development we assess the current state and economic strength of NGOs in both countries. Furthermore, the presented paper deals with the self-financing of non-government organizations and compares the current state and potential of self-financing in Slovakia and Austria. We focus on exploring the self-financing activities of NGOs in the context of maintaining a generally beneficial purpose for which they were founded. We draw on the comparable findings of primary research conducted in Slovakia and Austria, showing that self-financing must be understood in a broader context than a "business" of non-government organizations and that it can be in compliance with the general benefit as the primary purpose of organizations founded on a non-profit basis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Masaryk University, Faculty of Economics and Administration, Department of Public Economics in its series Working Papers with number 06.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2012
Date of revision: Mar 2013
Non-government organizations; non-profit organizations; self-financing; general benefit;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L30 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - General
- L31 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Nonprofit Institutions; NGOs
- L39 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-05-22 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Glaeser, Edward L. & Shleifer, Andrei, 2001.
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 99-115, July.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "Not-For-Profit Entrepreneurs," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1852, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "Not-For-Profit Entrepreneurs," NBER Working Papers 6810, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.