Seasonal Adjustment and Other Data Transformations
AbstractIn this paper, it is shown that the case for using optimal signal extraction filters is not all that convincing once it is recognized that seasonal adjustment is typically not the only transformation applied to data. Seasonal adjustment is viewed as any general linear filter. All other data transformations are also assumed to be linear. While optimal filters always dominate uniform filters, their dominance critically depends on performing seasonal adjustment and the other data transformations in the right sequence. The conclusions of the author's paper make a strong case in favor of the wide practice of uniform filtering.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ in its series Cahiers de recherche with number 9322.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: 1993
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: C.P. 6128, Succ. centre-ville, Montréal (PQ) H3C 3J7
Phone: (514) 343-6557
Fax: (514) 343-7221
Web page: http://www.cireq.umontreal.ca
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Ghysels, Eric, 1997. "Seasonal Adjustment and Other Data Transformations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 15(4), pages 410-18, October.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Agustín Maravall, 2005.
"An application of the Tramo Seats automatic procedure; direct versus indirect adjustment,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
0524, Banco de Espa�a.
- Maravall, Agustin, 2006. "An application of the TRAMO-SEATS automatic procedure; direct versus indirect adjustment," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(9), pages 2167-2190, May.
- Ghysels, Eric & Granger, Clive W J & Siklos, Pierre L, 1996.
"Is Seasonal Adjustment a Linear or Nonlinear Data-Filtering Process?,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 14(3), pages 374-86, July.
- Ghysels, E. & Granger, C.W.J. & Siklos, P.L., 1995. "Is Seasonal Adjustment a Linear or Nonlinear Data Filtring Process," Cahiers de recherche 9517, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Eric Ghysels & Clive W.J. Granger & Pierre L. Siklos, 1995. "Is Seasonal Adjustment a Linear or Nonlinear Data Filtering Process?," CIRANO Working Papers 95s-19, CIRANO.
- Ghysels, E. & Granger, C.W.J. & Siklos, P.L., 1995. "Is Seasonal Adjustment a Linear or Nonlinear Data Filtring Process," Cahiers de recherche 9517, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Robin L. Lumsdaine & Eswar S. Prasad, 2003.
"Identifying the Common Component of International Economic Fluctuations: A New Approach,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(484), pages 101-127, January.
- Lumsdaine, Robin L. & Prasad, Eswar, 2002. "Identifying the Common Component of International Economic Fluctuations: A New Approach," IZA Discussion Papers 487, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Robin L. Lumsdaine & Eswar Prasad, 1999. "Identifying the Common Component in International Economic Fluctuations - A New Approach," IMF Working Papers 99/154, International Monetary Fund.
- Raymund Abara, 2006. "Estimation and evaluation of asset pricing models with habit formation using Philippine data," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 13(8), pages 493-497.
- Robin L. Lumsdaine & Eswar S. Prasad, 1997. "Identifying the Common Component in International Economic Fluctuations," NBER Working Papers 5984, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Svend Hylleberg, 2006. "Seasonal Adjustment," Economics Working Papers 2006-04, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sharon BREWER).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.