A Model of Comparative Statics for Changes in Stochastic Returns with Dependent Risky Assets
AbstractIn this article, we show how the order of Linear Stochastic Dominance proposed by Gollier (1995) can be applied to situations with dependent risky assets. This order was shown to be the least constrained necessary and sufficient condition to guarantee that all risk-averse agents reduce their risky position when an increase in risk is imposed. This was done in a model with only one source of risk, as in the standard portfolio problem with one safe asset and one risky asset. We obtain the necessary and sufficient condition for a change in the joint distribution of returns to yield an unambiguous comparative statics result when the two assets are risky. We show in particular that the concept of Linear Stochastic Dominance is sufficient to generate the desired result. These results are linked to existing sufficient conditions in the one-safe-one-risky-asset model, as the condition of strong increase in risk or the monotone likelihood ratio order. They are also compared to those in models where restrictions are on the set of concave utility functions. Copyright 1996 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques in its series Cahiers de recherche with number 9560.
Date of creation: 1995
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: CP 6128, Succ. Centre-Ville, Montréal, Québec, H3C 3J7
Phone: (514) 343-6540
Fax: (514) 343-5831
Web page: http://www.sceco.umontreal.ca
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Dionne, Georges & Gollier, Christian, 1996. "A Model of Comparative Statics for Changes in Stochastic Returns with Dependent Risky Assets," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 147-62, September.
- Dionne, G. & Gollier, C., 1996. "A Model of Comparative Statics for Changes in Stochastic Returns with Dependent Risky Assets," Papers 9609, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- G. Dionne & C. Gollier, 1996. "A model of comparative statics for changes in stochastic returns with dependent risky assets," THEMA Working Papers 96-09, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Dionne, G. & Gollier, C., 1996. "A Model Of Comparative Statics For Changes in Stochastic Returns With Dependent Risky Assets," Papers 96.420, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- D8 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dachraoui, K. & Dionne, G., 2001.
"Stochastic Dominance and Optimal Portfolio,"
Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales de Montreal-
01-01, Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales de Montreal-Chaire de gestion des risques..
- Amigues, J.-P. & Favard, P. & Gaudet, G. & Moreaux, M., 1996.
"On The Optimal Order of Natural Resourse Use When the Capacity of the Inexhaustible Substitute is Limited,"
96.431, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Amigues, Jean-Pierre & Favard, Pascal & Gaudet, Gerard & Moreaux, Michel, 1998. "On the Optimal Order of Natural Resource Use When the Capacity of the Inexhaustible Substitute Is Limited," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 153-170, May.
- Amigues, J-P & Favard, P.author-name: Gaudet, G. & Moreaux, M, 1996. "On the Optimal Order of Natural Resource Use When the Capacity of the Inexhaustible Substitute is Limited," Cahiers de recherche 9628, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Amigues, J-P & Favard, P & Gaudet, G & Moreaux, M, 1996. "On the Optimal Order of Natural Resource Use When the Capacity of the Inexhaustible Substitute is Limited," Cahiers de recherche 9628, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Gollier Christian & Schlee Edward E, 2006.
"Increased Risk-Bearing with Background Risk,"
The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 6(1), pages 1-29, March.
- Choi, Gyemyung & Kim, Iltae & Snow, Arthur, 2000. "Comparative statics predictions for the cross-effects of central dominance changes in risk with quasilinear payoffs," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 41-48, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sharon BREWER).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.