Insurance with Undiversifiable Risk
AbstractSome Current Insurance Markets Are Troubled by the Presence of Systematic Risk Or by the Inability of the Parties to Specify the Distribution for Aggregate Loss. Such Circumstances Partly Characterise the Topical "Liability Insurance Crisis". We Compare the Performance of Alternative Vehicles for Risk Sharing Under These Circumstances. Specifically, We Show That Mutals Appear to Outperform Stock Insurance Companies When There Is Undiversifiable Risk. These Results Represent an Extension of Marshall (1974). While the Story Is Told in Terms of Stocks and Mutuals, the Real Issue Is Not the Form of Organisation But the Risk Bearing Package Typically Offered by These Alternative Structures. Other Types of Organisation May Offer Similar Packages (E.G. the Reciprocal) and It Is Possible for the Individual to Replicate the Effects of Mutual Insurance on His/Her Own Account (Homemade Mutualisation). Though It Is Not a Necessary Conclusion of This Paper, It May Be That the Mutual Or Reciprocal Has a Comparative Advantage in Bundling the Preferred Risk Bearing Package.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques in its series Cahiers de recherche with number 8710.
Length: 29P pages
Date of creation: 1987
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: CP 6128, Succ. Centre-Ville, Montréal, Québec, H3C 3J7
Phone: (514) 343-6540
Fax: (514) 343-5831
Web page: http://www.sceco.umontreal.ca
More information through EDIRC
Risk ; Insurance;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Neil A. Doherty & Harris Schlesinger, 2001. "Insurance Contracts and Securitization," CESifo Working Paper Series 559, CESifo Group Munich.
- Pierre Picard, 2009. "Participating insurance contracts and the Rothschild-Stiglitz equilibrium puzzle," Working Papers hal-00413825, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sharon BREWER).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.