Functional Forms and Educational Production Functions
AbstractDifferent Functional Forms Are Proposed and Applied in the Context of Educational Production Functions. Three Different Specifications - the Linerar, Logit and Inverse Power Transformation (Ipt) - Are Used to Explain First Grade Students' Results to a Mathematics Achievement Test. with Ipt Identified As the Best Functional Form to Explain the Data, the Assumption of Differential Impact of Explanatory Variables on Achievement Following the Status of the Student As a Low Or High Achiever Is Retained. Policy Implications of Such Result in Terms of School Interventions Are Discussed in the Paper.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques in its series Cahiers de recherche with number 8513.
Length: 10P. pages
Date of creation: 1985
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: CP 6128, Succ. Centre-Ville, Montréal, Québec, H3C 3J7
Phone: (514) 343-6540
Fax: (514) 343-5831
Web page: http://www.sceco.umontreal.ca
More information through EDIRC
Mathematics ; Evaluation Techniques ; Production ; Scifications;
Other versions of this item:
- Montmarquette, Claude & Mahseredjian, Sophie, 1985. "Functional forms and educational production functions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 291-294.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eric A. Hanushek, 1979. "Conceptual and Empirical Issues in the Estimation of Educational Production Functions," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 14(3), pages 351-388.
- Summers, Anita A & Wolfe, Barbara L, 1977. "Do Schools Make a Difference?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(4), pages 639-52, September.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1980.
"Several Tests for Model Specification in the Presence of Alternative Hypotheses,"
378, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G, 1981. "Several Tests for Model Specification in the Presence of Alternative Hypotheses," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(3), pages 781-93, May.
- C. Montmarquette, 1990. "A Legacy for Learners: The Report of the British Columbia Royal Commission on Education, 1988," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 16(1), pages 91-96, March.
- Muriel Meunier, 2006. "Fonctions de production éducationnelle: le cas de la Suisse," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 142(IV), pages 579â615, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sharon BREWER).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.