Estonian Outward Foreign Direct Investments
AbstractThis paper aims to analyse the role of outward foreign direct investments in the Estonian economy. The research is based on the macro data provided by the Bank of Estonia and on the results obtained from 70 firms that responded to the survey conducted by the authors in autumn 2001. In the process of research the firms in the sample were classified as follows: by the type of investors (direct and indirect), by the type of investments (production, trade, other services), and by the age of affiliations. It allowed us to find interesting differences in the behaviour patterns of various investors. The survey revealed that market related motives appear to be redominant among the factors that make Estonian firms to invest abroad. The most important effects on the parent company are related to additional market shares gained abroad and enhanced exports. Investments into the other Baltic countries have been more in line with earlier expectations than those into the CIS or the European Union..
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia) in its series University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series with number 9.
Length: 59 pages
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Priit Vahter & Jaan Masso, 2007.
"Home versus Host Country Effects of FDI: Searching for New Evidence of Productivity Spillovers,"
Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik),
Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 53(2), pages 165-196.
- Priit Vahter & Jaan Masso, 2006. "Home versus Host Country Effects of FDI: Searching for New Evidence of Productivity Spillovers," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 820, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Priit Vahter & Jaan Masso, 2005. "Home Versus Host Country Effects of FDI: Searching for New Evidence of Productivity Spillovers," Bank of Estonia Working Papers 2005-13, Bank of Estonia, revised 10 Dec 2005.
- Hunya, Gabor, 2004. "FDI in small accession countries: the Baltic states," EIB Papers 9/2004, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Andreff, Wladimir, 2002. "The new multinational corporations from transition countries," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 371-379, December.
- Kálmán Kalotay, 2004. "Outward FDI from Central and Eastern European Countries," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 141-172, 06.
- Sõrg, Mart, 2007. "Estonia's high current account deficit has special reasons," Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Diskussionspapiere 13/2007, Ernst Moritz Arndt University of Greifswald, Faculty of Law and Economics.
- Jaan Masso & Urmas Varblane & Priit Vahter, 2007.
"The Impact of Outward FDI on Home-Country Employment in a Low-Cost Transition Economy,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp873, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Jaan Masso & Urmas Varblane & Priit Vahter, 2007. "The Impact Of Outward Fdi On Home-Country Employment In A Low-Cost Transition Economy," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 52, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- Ele Reiljan, 2002. "Internationalization Of Estonian Enterprises: The Market Dimension," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 14, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia), revised 2003.
- Priit Vahter, 2006. "Productivity in Estonian enterprises: the role of innovation and competition," Bank of Estonia Working Papers 2006-07, Bank of Estonia, revised 11 Dec 2006.
- Kayam, Saime Suna, 2009. "Home market determinants of FDI outflows from developing and transition economies," MPRA Paper 16781, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kayam, Saime S. & Hisarcıklılar, Mehtap & Kayalıca, Özgür, 2011. "Spoilt for Choice: Explaining the location choice of Turkish Transnationals," MPRA Paper 39150, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tonu Roolaht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.