Long term impact of a major infrastructure project: the port of Gioia Tauro
AbstractThis paper illustrates the story of the Port of Gioia Tauro, a major infrastructure investment co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund in the period 1994-1998, but whose origin dates back to the beginning of the 1970s. It draws from a recent ex-post evaluation carried out for the European Commission on a sample of ten major infrastructures in the Transport and Environment sectors aimed at assessing the long term effects produced by the project and interpreting the key determinants of the observed performance. The analysis shows an emblematic story of great business success and unexploited potential for local development: the overall assessment of the economic impact of the project is mixed, stressing the multi-faceted dimensions of development plans. In particular, the paper discusses to what extent factors such as governance, managerial response and social acceptability can be key determinants of long term effects of a large infrastructure project, more than forecasting capacity or project technical design. It also offers a pilot case testing an innovative evaluation exercise combining cost-benefit analysis with qualitative assessment and adopting a long-run perspective (30 years), which extends into both the past and the future, and requires a mix of retrospective and prospective analysis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Industrial Studies (CSIL) in its series Working Papers with number 201305.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: 28 Jun 2013
Date of revision:
Regional development; transport infrastructure; ex-post evaluation;
Other versions of this item:
- Mario Genco & Emanuela Sirtori & Silvia Vignetti, 2013. "Long term impact of a major infrastructure project: the port of Gioia Tauro," ERSA conference papers ersa13p1003, European Regional Science Association.
- H54 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Infrastructures
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- R58 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Regional Development Planning and Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-01-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2014-01-17 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-PPM-2014-01-17 (Project, Program & Portfolio Management)
- NEP-TRE-2014-01-17 (Transport Economics)
- NEP-URE-2014-01-17 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marinella Manghina).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.