Coherent Predictions of Low Count Time Series
AbstractThe application of traditional forecasting methods to discrete count data yields forecasts that are non-coherent. That is, such methods produce non-integer point and interval predictions which violate the restrictions on the sample space of the integer variable. This paper presents a methodology for producing coherent forecasts of low count time series. The forecasts are based on estimates of the p-step ahead predictive mass functions for a family of distributions nested in the integer-valued first-order autoregressive (INAR(1)) class. The predictive mass functions are constructed from convolutions of the unobserved components of the model, with uncertainty associated with both parameter values and model specifcation fully incorporated. The methodology is used to analyse two sets of Canadian wage loss claims data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics in its series Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers with number 8/03.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PO Box 11E, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia
Web page: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/depts/ebs/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C11 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Bayesian Analysis: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-04-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2003-04-24 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2003-04-21 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-RMG-2003-04-21 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert C. Jung & A. R. Tremayne, 2003. "Testing for serial dependence in time series models of counts," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(1), pages 65-84, 01.
- Kleibergen, Frank, 2004. "Invariant Bayesian inference in regression models that is robust against the Jeffreys-Lindley's paradox," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 123(2), pages 227-258, December.
- Siddhartha Chib & Edward Greenberg & Rainer Winkelmann, 1996.
"Posterior Simulation and Bayes Factors in Panel Count Data Models,"
9608003, EconWPA, revised 25 Nov 1996.
- Chib, Siddhartha & Greenberg, Edward & Winkelmann, Rainer, 1998. "Posterior simulation and Bayes factors in panel count data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 33-54, June.
- Freeland, R. K. & McCabe, B. P. M., 2004. "Forecasting discrete valued low count time series," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 427-434.
- Durbin, J. & Koopman, S.J.M., 1998.
"Time Series Analysis of Non-Gaussian Observations Based on State Space Models from Both Classical and Bayesian Perspectives,"
1998-142, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- J. Durbin & S. J. Koopman, 2000. "Time series analysis of non-Gaussian observations based on state space models from both classical and Bayesian perspectives," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 62(1), pages 3-56.
- R. K. Freeland & B. P. M. McCabe, 2004. "Analysis of low count time series data by poisson autoregression," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(5), pages 701-722, 09.
- Ray, W. D., 1997. "Hidden Markov and other models for discrete-valued time series : by Iain L. Mac Donald and Walter Zucchini. ISBN 0 412 55850 5. Monographs on Statistics and Applied Probability 70. Chapman and Hall, L," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 587-588, December.
- Chib, Siddhartha & Winkelmann, Rainer, 2001. "Markov Chain Monte Carlo Analysis of Correlated Count Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(4), pages 428-35, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simone Grose).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.