Can heterogeneous preferences stabilize endogenous fluctuations ?
AbstractWhile most of the literature concerned with indeterminacy and endogenous cycles is based on the questionable assumption of a representative consumer, some recent works have investigated the role of heterogeneous agents on dynamics. This paper adds a contribution to the debate, highlighting the effects of heterogeneity in consumers' preferences within an overlapping generations economy with capital accumulation, endogenous labor supply and consumption in both periods. Using a mean-preserving approach to heterogeneity, we show that increasing the dispersion of propensities to save turns out to stabilize the macroeconomic volatility, by reducing the range of parameters compatible with indeterminacy and ruling out expectations-driven fluctuations under a sufficiently large heterogeneity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1) in its series Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques with number v06082.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 106 - 112 boulevard de l'Hôpital, 75647 Paris cedex 13
Phone: 01 44 07 81 00
Fax: 01 44 07 81 09
Web page: http://mse.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Endogenous fluctuations; heterogeneous preferences; mean-preserving dispersion; overlapping generations.;
Other versions of this item:
- Bosi, Stefano & Seegmuller, Thomas, 2008. "Can heterogeneous preferences stabilize endogenous fluctuations," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 624-647, February.
- C62 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Existence and Stability Conditions of Equilibrium
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-02-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-2007-02-17 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-MAC-2007-02-17 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sorger, Gerhard, 1994. "On the Structure of Ramsey Equilibrium: Cycles, Indeterminacy, and Sunspots," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 4(5), pages 745-64, August.
- Cazzavillan, Guido & Lloyd-Braga, Teresa & Pintus, Patrick, 1996.
"Multiple steady states and endogenous fluctuations with increasing returns to scale in production,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Cazzavillan, Guido & Lloyd-Braga, Teresa & Pintus, Patrick A., 1998. "Multiple Steady States and Endogenous Fluctuations with Increasing Returns to Scale in Production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 60-107, May.
- G, Cazzavillan & T, Lloyd-Braga & P, A, Pintus, 1997. "Multiple Steady States and Endogenous Fluctuations with Increasing Returns to Scale in Production," Working Papers 97-29, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Becker, Robert A. & Foias, Ciprian, 1987. "A characterization of Ramsey equilibrium," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 173-184, February.
- Ghiglino, Christian & Tvede, Mich, 1995.
"Endowments, stability, and fluctuations in OG models,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 621-653, April.
- Christian Ghiglino & Mich Tvede, 1993. "Endowments, Stability and Fluctuations in OG Models," Research Papers by the Department of Economics, University of Geneva 93.04, Département des Sciences Économiques, Université de Genève.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel & Pintus, Patrick & de Vilder, Robin, 1998.
"Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 14-59, May.
- GRANDMONT, Jean-Michel & PINTUS, Patrick & de VILDER, Robin, 1997. "Capital-labor substitution and competitive nonlinear endogenous business cycles," CORE Discussion Papers 1997087, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jean-Michel Grandmont & P, A, Pintus & R, De Vilder, 1997. "Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles," Working Papers 97-28, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- d ASPREMONT, Claude, & DOS SANTOS FERREIRA , Rodolphe & GERARD-VARET , Louis-André, 1994. "Market Power, Coordination Failures and Endogenous Fluctuations," CORE Discussion Papers 1994068, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Benhabib, Jess & Farmer, Roger E.A., 1999. "Indeterminacy and sunspots in macroeconomics," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 6, pages 387-448 Elsevier.
- Dixon,Huw David & Rankin,Neil, 1995. "The New Macroeconomics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521479479, October.
- Guido Cazzavillan & Patrick A. Pintus, 2004. "Robustness of Multiple Equilibria in OLG Economies," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 7(2), pages 456-475, April.
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00194292 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ghiglino, Christian, 2005.
"Wealth inequality and dynamic stability,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 124(1), pages 106-115, September.
- Duffy, John & Papageorgiou, Chris, 2000. " A Cross-Country Empirical Investigation of the Aggregate Production Function Specification," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 87-120, March.
- Cazzavillan, Guido & Pintus, Patrick A., 2006. "Capital externalities in OLG economies," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1215-1231, July.
- Woodford, Michael, 1986. "Stationary sunspot equilibria in a finance constrained economy," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 128-137, October.
- Becker, R.C. & Foias, C., 1992.
"The Local Bifurcation of Ramsey Equilibrium,"
92-002, Indiana - Center for Econometric Model Research.
- Christian Ghiglino & Marielle Olszak-Duquenne, 2001. "Inequalities and fluctuations in a dynamic general equilibrium model," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 1-24.
- Bosi, Stefano & Seegmuller, Thomas, 2006.
"Optimal cycles and social inequality: What do we learn from the Gini index?,"
Research in Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 35-46, March.
- Christian Ghiglino & Marielle Olszak-Duquenne, 2004.
"On the Impact of Heterogeneity on Indeterminacy,"
Research Papers by the Department of Economics, University of Geneva
2004.09, Département des Sciences Économiques, Université de Genève.
- Ghiglino, Christian & Sorger, Gerhard, 2002. "Poverty Traps, Indeterminacy, and the Wealth Distribution," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 120-139, July.
- Thomas Seegmuller, 2009.
"Capital-Labour Substitution And Endogenous Fluctuations: A Monopolistic Competition Approach With Variable Markup,"
The Japanese Economic Review,
Japanese Economic Association, vol. 60(3), pages 301-319.
- Lloyd-Braga, Teresa & Nourry, Carine & Venditti, Alain, 2007.
"Indeterminacy in dynamic models: When Diamond meets Ramsey,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 134(1), pages 513-536, May.
- Lloyd-Braga, Teresa & Nourry, Carine & Venditti, Alain, 2005. "Indeterminacy in Dynamic Models: When Diamond Meets Ramsey," CEPR Discussion Papers 5255, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stefano Bosi & Thomas Seegmuller, 2005. "Animal Spirits in Woodford and Reichlin Economies: The Representative Agent Does Matter," Documents de recherche 05-01, Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne.
- Ghiglino, Christian & Venditti, Alain, 2007. "Wealth inequality, preference heterogeneity and macroeconomic volatility in two-sector economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 414-441, July.
- Ismael, Mohanad, 2011.
"Progressive income taxes and macroeconomic instability,"
49917, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mohanad Ismael, 2010. "Progressive income taxes and macroeconomic instability," Documents de recherche 10-13, Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne.
- Antoci, Angelo & Naimzada, Ahmad & Sodini, Mauro, 2009. "Strategic interactions and heterogeneity in a overlapping generations model with negative environmental externalities," MPRA Paper 18221, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yunfang Hu & Kazuo Mino, 2009. "Financial Integration and Aggregate Stability," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 09-01, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.