Incomplete markets and monetary policy
AbstractWe consider an extension of a general equilibrium model with incomplete markets that considers cash-in-advance constraints. The total amount of money is supplied by an authority, which produces at no cost and lends money to agents at short term nominal rates of interest, meeting the demand. Agents have initial nominal claims, which in the aggregate, are the counterpart of an initial public debt. The authority covers its expenditures, including initial debt, through public revenues that consists of taxes and seignorage, and distributes its eventual budget surpluses through transfers to individuals, while no further instruments are available to correct eventual budget deficits. We define a concept of equilibrium in this extended model, and prove that there exists a monetary equilibrium with no transfers. Moreover, we show that if the price level is high enough, a monetary equilibrium with transfers exists.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1) in its series Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques with number b05024.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 106 - 112 boulevard de l'Hôpital, 75647 Paris cedex 13
Phone: 01 44 07 81 00
Fax: 01 44 07 81 09
Web page: http://mse.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Cash-in-advance constraints; incomplete markets; nominal assets; monetary equilibrium; money; nominal interest rate.;
Other versions of this item:
- Pascal Gourdel & Leila Triki, 2005. "Incomplete markets and monetary policy," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00193970, HAL.
- C62 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Existence and Stability Conditions of Equilibrium
- D52 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Incomplete Markets
- E40 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - General
- E50 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - General
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-04-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-2005-04-16 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-FIN-2005-04-16 (Finance)
- NEP-MAC-2005-04-16 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2005-04-16 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- DREZE, Jacques & POLEMARCHAKIS, Heracles, 1995.
CORE Discussion Papers
1995078, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Magill, M. & Quinzii, M., 1992.
"Real effects of money in general equilibrium,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 301-342.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel & Younes, Yves, 1973.
"On the Efficiency of a Monetary Equilibrium,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 149-65, April.
- Woodford, Michael, 1994. "Monetary Policy and Price Level Determinacy in a Cash-in-Advance Economy," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 345-80.
- Monique Florenzano, 2008.
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
b08005, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Monique Florenzano, 2007. "General equilibrium," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00250167, HAL.
- Duffie, Darrell, 1987. "Stochastic equilibria with incomplete financial markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 405-416, April.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1990. "Liquidity and interest rates," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 237-264, April.
- Robert E. Lucas, Jr. & Nancy L. Stokey, 1985.
"Money and Interest in a Cash-in-Advance Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
1618, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Werner, Jan, 1985. "Equilibrium in economies with incomplete financial markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 110-119, June.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1958. "An Exact Consumption-Loan Model of Interest with or without the Social Contrivance of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 467.
- Monique Florenzano & Stella Kanellopoulou & Yannis Vailakis, 2006.
"Equilibrium of incomplete markets with money and intermediate banking system,"
Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques
b06068, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Monique Florenzano & Stella Kanellopoulou & Yiannis Vailakis, 2006. "Equilibrium of incomplete markets with money and intermediate banking system," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00112209, HAL.
- Bai, Jinhui H. & Schwarz, Ingolf, 2006.
"Monetary equilibria in a cash-in-advance economy with incomplete financial markets,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(4-5), pages 422-451, August.
- Jinhui H. Bai & Ingolf Schwarz, 2006. "Monetary Equilibria in a Cash-in-Advance Economy with Incomplete Financial Markets," Working Papers gueconwpa~06-06-05, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Ingolf Schwarz & Jinhui H. Bai, 2005. "Monetary Equilibria in a Cash-in-Advance Economy with Incomplete Financial Markets," Working Paper Series of the Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods 2005_18, Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods.
- Jinhui H. Bai & Ingolf Schwarz, 2005. "Monetary Equilibria in a Cash-in-Advance Economy with Incomplete Financial Markets," JEPS Working Papers 05-005, JEPS.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00112209 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.