Edgeworth and Lindahl-Foley equilibria of a general equilibrium model with private provision of pure public goods
AbstractIn this paper, we propose a definition of Edgeworth equilibrium for a private ownership production economy with possibly infinitely many private goods and a finite number of pure public goods. We show that Edgeworth equilibria exist and can be decentralized as Lindahl-Foley equilibria, whatever be the dimension of the private goods space. Existence theorems for Lindahl-Foley equilibria are a by-product of our results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1) in its series Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques with number b04082.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 106 - 112 boulevard de l'Hôpital, 75647 Paris cedex 13
Phone: 01 44 07 81 00
Fax: 01 44 07 81 09
Web page: http://mse.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Production economy; public goods; Edgeworth equilibrium; Lindhal equilibrium; proper economy.;
Other versions of this item:
- MONIQUE FLORENZANO & ELENA L. del MERCATO, 2006. "Edgeworth and Lindahl-Foley equilibria of a General Equilibrium Model with Private Provision of Pure Public Goods," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 8(5), pages 713-740, December.
- D46 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Value Theory
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
- H21 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Efficiency; Optimal Taxation
- H41 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Public Goods
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-12-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-MIC-2004-12-12 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-PBE-2004-12-12 (Public Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antonio Villanacci & Unal Zenginobuz, 2001. "Private Provision of a Public Good in a General Equilibrium Model," Working Papers 2001/05, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- Milleron, Jean-Claude, 1972. "Theory of value with public goods: A survey article," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 419-477, December.
- repec:ltr:wpaper:1997.03 is not listed on IDEAS
- Conley John P., 1994. "Convergence Theorems on the Core of a Public Goods Economy: Sufficient Conditions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 161-185, February.
- Rabee Tourky, 1999. "The limit theorem on the core of a production economy in vector lattices with unordered preferences," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 219-226.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Silvestre, Joaquim, 1989. "Cost share equilibria: A Lindahlian approach," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 239-256, April.
- Weber, Shlomo & Wiesmeth, Hans, 1991. "The equivalence of core and cost share equilibria in an economy with a public good," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 180-197, June.
- Florenzano Monique, 1988. "Edgeworth equilibria, fuzzy core and equilibria of a production economy without ordered preferences," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 8822, CEPREMAP.
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00086096 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dimitrios Diamantaras & Robert P. Gilles, 1994.
"The Pure Theory of Public Goods: Efficiency, Decentralization, and the Core,"
- Diamantaras, Dimitrios & Gilles, Robert P, 1996. "The Pure Theory of Public Goods: Efficiency, Dencentralization, and the Core," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 37(4), pages 851-60, November.
- Vasilev, V. & Weber, S. & Wiesmeth, H., 1991.
"The Equivalence of Core and Lindahl Equilibria in an Economy with Semi- Public Goods,"
91-13, York (Canada) - Department of Economics.
- Valery Vasil'ev & Shlomo Weber & Hans Wiesmeth, 1991. "The Equivalence of Core and Lindahl Equilibria in an Economy with Semi-Public Goods," Discussion Paper Serie B 200, University of Bonn, Germany.
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00250167 is not listed on IDEAS
- D. K. Foley, 1967.
"Lindahl's Solution and the Core of an Economy with Public Goods,"
3, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Foley, Duncan K, 1970. "Lindahl's Solution and the Core of an Economy with Public Goods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 38(1), pages 66-72, January.
- Vasil'ev, Valery & Weber, Shlomo & Wiesmeth, Hans, 1995.
"Core Equivalence with Congested Public Goods,"
Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 373-87, November.
- Allouch, N. & Florenzano, M., 2000.
"Edgeworth and Walras Equilibria of an Arbitrage-Free Exchange Economy,"
Papiers d'Economie MathÃÂ©matique et Applications
2000.119, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Nizar Allouch & Monique Florenzano, 2004. "Edgeworth and Walras equilibria of an arbitrage-free exchange economy," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 353-370, January.
- Nizar Allouch, 2000. "Edgeworth and Walras Equilibria of an Arbitrage-Free Exchange Economy," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1901, Econometric Society.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu, 1980. "Efficiency and Decentralization in the Pure Theory of Public Goods," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 94(4), pages 625-41, June.
- Tourky, Rabee, 1998.
"A New Approach to the Limit Theorem on the Core of an Economy in Vector Lattices,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 321-328, February.
- De Simone, Anna & Graziano, Maria Gabriella, 2004. "The pure theory of public goods: the case of many commodities," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(7), pages 847-868, November.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Richard, Scott F., 1991. "A new approach to the existence of equilibria in vector lattices," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 1-11, February.
- Herbert E. Scarf, 1965. "The Core of an N Person Game," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 182R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Villanacci, Antonio & Zenginobuz, E.Unal, 2005. "Existence and regularity of equilibria in a general equilibrium model with private provision of a public good," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(4-5), pages 617-636, August.
- Aliprantis, Charalambos D. & Brown, Donald J. & Burkinshaw, Owen, 1987. "Edgeworth equilibria in production economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 252-291, December.
- Monique Florenzano, 2008.
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
b08005, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Nizar Allouch, 2009.
"A Competitive Equilibrium for a Warm Glow Economy,"
641, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Francesco Ruscitti, 2013. "Provision of a discrete public good with infinitely-many commodities," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(1), pages 28-34.
- Marakulin, V.M., 2013. "On the Edgeworth conjecture for production economies with public goods: A contract-based approach," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 189-200.
- Bejan, Camelia & Bidian, Florin, 2009.
"Ownership Structure and Efficiency in Large Economies,"
17677, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Camelia Bejan & Florin Bidian, 2012. "Ownership structure and efficiency in large economies," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 50(3), pages 571-602, August.
- Nizar Allouch, 2009. "A Core-equilibrium Convergence in an Economy with Public Goods," Working Papers 642, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00531434 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00367867 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.