Normes du travail, migrations internes et emploi : une analyse théorique
AbstractThe goal of this paper is to determine the impact of the settings of labour standards on the level of dualism, employment and wages. Contrary to the "conventional wisdom", we show that the reinforcement of dualism due to the improvement of labour standards is not automatic. Under certain assumptions (impact of labour standards on productivity, initial level of labour standards and ratio capital/labour), the improvement of labour standards can improve employment in the formal sector, reduce the relative weight of traditional sector and increase the wage in this sector. We also study the effects of labour standards when these standards creates an additional incentive to migrate. We show that it can create a upward pressure on the level of urban unemployment if the gap between working conditions in the two sector is too large.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne in its series Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne with number bla08034.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 106-112 boulevard de l'Hôpital 75 647 PARIS CEDEX 13
Phone: + 33 44 07 81 00
Fax: + 33 1 44 07 83 01
Web page: http://centredeconomiesorbonne.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Labor norms; dualism; migration.;
Other versions of this item:
- Rémi Bazillier, 2008. "Normes du travail, migrations internes et emploi : une analyse théorique," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00275771, HAL.
- J80 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor Standards - - - General
- J88 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor Standards - - - Public Policy
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
- O17 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Formal and Informal Sectors; Shadow Economy; Institutional Arrangements
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-05-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAB-2008-05-17 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-MIG-2008-05-17 (Economics of Human Migration)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.