Is School Value-Added Indicative of Principal Quality?
AbstractUsing data on elementary and middle school math and reading outcomes for Pennsylvania students, this working paper found that school value-added provides little useful information for comparing the general leadership skills of different principals when these comparisons include some principals who are in their first three years at their current positions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Mathematica Policy Research in its series Mathematica Policy Research Reports with number 7587.
Date of creation: 30 Nov 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Mathematica Policy Research P.O. Box 2393 Princeton, NJ 08543-2393 Attn: Communications
Fax: (609) 799-0005
Web page: http://www.mathematica-mpr.com/
More information through EDIRC
School Value-Added; Principal Quality; Education;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I - Health, Education, and Welfare
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-12-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2012-12-22 (Education)
- NEP-URE-2012-12-22 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Coelli, Michael & Green, David A., 2012. "Leadership effects: school principals and student outcomes," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 92-109.
- Steven Glazerman & Hanley Chiang & Alison Wellington & Jill Constantine & Dan Player, 2011. "Impacts of Performance Pay Under the Teacher Incentive Fund: Study Design Report," Mathematica Policy Research Reports 7407, Mathematica Policy Research.
- Thomas J. Kane & Douglas O. Staiger, 2008. "Estimating Teacher Impacts on Student Achievement: An Experimental Evaluation," NBER Working Papers 14607, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brian A. Jacob & Lars Lefgren, 2005. "Principals as Agents: Subjective Performance Measurement in Education," NBER Working Papers 11463, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dhuey, Elizabeth & Smith, Justin, 2011. "How Important are School Principals in the Production of Student Achievement?," CLSSRN working papers clsrn_admin-2011-33, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 23 Dec 2011.
- Raj Chetty & John N. Friedman & Jonah E. Rockoff, 2011. "The Long-Term Impacts of Teachers: Teacher Value-Added and Student Outcomes in Adulthood," NBER Working Papers 17699, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel Aaronson & Lisa Barrow & William Sander, 2002.
"Teachers and student achievement in the Chicago public high schools,"
Working Paper Series
WP-02-28, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Daniel Aaronson & Lisa Barrow & William Sander, 2007. "Teachers and Student Achievement in the Chicago Public High Schools," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 25, pages 95-135.
- Jesse Rothstein, 2010.
"Teacher Quality in Educational Production: Tracking, Decay, and Student Achievement,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 125(1), pages 175-214, February.
- Jesse Rothstein, 2008. "Teacher Quality in Educational Production: Tracking, Decay, and Student Achievement," NBER Working Papers 14442, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Liz Potamites & Duncan Chaplin & Eric Isenberg & Kevin Booker, 2009. "Measuring School Effectiveness in Memphis: Year 2," Mathematica Policy Research Reports 6417, Mathematica Policy Research.
- Brian A. Jacob & Lars Lefgren, 2008. "Can Principals Identify Effective Teachers? Evidence on Subjective Performance Evaluation in Education," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26, pages 101-136.
- Ladd, Helen F. & Walsh, Randall P., 2002. "Implementing value-added measures of school effectiveness: getting the incentives right," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 1-17, February.
- Susanna Loeb & Demetra Kalogrides & Tara Béteille, 2012. "Effective Schools: Teacher Hiring, Assignment, Development, and Retention," Education Finance and Policy, MIT Press, vol. 7(3), pages 269-304, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joanne Pfleiderer) or (Joanne Lustig).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.