Public Grazing in the West and "Rangeland Reform '94"
AbstractPrivate grazing fees differ substantially and systematically across states in the West. In contrast, federal policy establishes the same grazing fee on federal lands, regardless of location. We analyze locational differences in private grazing fees with an econometric model. Differences in private grazing fees across states can be explained largely by economic forces consistent with a competitive spatial market. A uniform increase in the federal grazing fee will lead to a large variation in economic effects between states and across individual public lands ranchers. We propose the permanent transfer of public grazing rights to the private sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Monash University, Department of Economics in its series Monash Economics Working Papers with number archive-46.
Length: 15 pages
Date of creation: 1995
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 77:3, pp 447-461, 1995.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia
Web page: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/eco/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Watts, Myles J & Shimshack, Jay P & LaFrance, Jeffrey T., 2006.
"Grazing Fees versus Stewardship on Federal Lands,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt26b384t9, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Tigran Melkonyan & Michael H. Taylor, 2013.
"Regulatory Policy Design for Agroecosystem Management on Public Rangelands,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 95(3), pages 606-627.
- Tigran Melkonyan & Michael Taylor, 2010. "Regulatory Policy Design for Agroecosystem Management on Public Rangelands," Working Papers 10-007, University of Nevada, Reno, Department of Economics & University of Nevada, Reno , Department of Resource Economics.
- McCluskey, Jill J. & Rausser, Gordon C., 1999. "Federal Grazing Reform And Avoidable Risk," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(01), July.
- Giannis Karagiannis, .
"Proportional Profit Taxes and Resource Management under Production Uncertainty,"
9819, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Karagiannis, Giannis, 1999. "Proportional Profit Taxes And Resource Management Under Production Uncertainty," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(02), December.
- Link, Johanna & Graeff, Simone & Batchelor, William David & Claupein, Wilhelm, 2006. "Evaluating the economic and environmental impact of environmental compensation payment policy under uniform and variable-rate nitrogen management," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 91(1-2), pages 135-153, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simon Angus).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.