India's Checkered History in Fight against Poverty: Are There Lessons for the Future?
AbstractLooking back 40 years or so, progress against poverty in India has been highly uneven over time and space. It took 20 years for the national poverty rate to fall below - and stay below - its value in the early 1950s. And trend rates of poverty reduction have differed appreciably between states. This paper provides an overview of results from a research project which has been trying to understand what influence economy wide and sectoral factors have played in the evolution of poverty measures for India since the 1950s. There are some clear lessons for the future.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Monash University, Department of Economics in its series Monash Economics Working Papers with number archive-33.
Length: 8 pages
Date of creation: 1996
Date of revision:
Publication status: published in Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 31, No. 35/37, Special Number (Sep., 1996), pp.2479-2485
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia
Web page: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/eco/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Manoj K. Panda, 2008. "Economic development in Orissa: Growth without inclusion?," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2008-025, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Sudip Ranjan Basu, 2005. "Correlating Growth with Well-Being during Economic Reforms Evidence from India and China," Development and Comp Systems 0509010, EconWPA.
- Ravallion, Martin, 2000. "Prices, wages and poverty in rural India: what lessons do the time series data hold for policy?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 351-364, June.
- Krishna, Anirudh & Shariff, Abusaleh, 2011. "The Irrelevance of National Strategies? Rural Poverty Dynamics in States and Regions of India, 1993-2005," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 533-549, April.
- Chand, Sheetal K., 2003. "Stabilizing Poverty In The Context Of The IMF's Monetary Model," Memorandum 14/2003, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Chand,S.K., 2001. "Poverty alleviation as a central objective of developing country macroeconomic policy," Memorandum 15/2001, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Lanjouw, Peter & Shariff, Abusaleh, 2002. "Rural non farm employment in India : Access, income and poverty impact," Working Papers 81, National Council of Applied Economic Research.
- Peter Lanjouw & Abusaleh Shariff & Dil Bahadur Rahut, 2007. "Rural Non-Farm Employment in India: Access, Income, Farm, Poverty Impact," Working Papers id:913, eSocialSciences.
- Kapur Mehta, Aasha & Shah, Amita, 2003. "Chronic Poverty in India: Incidence, Causes and Policies," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 491-511, March.
- Mustafa K. Mujeri, 2000. "Poverty Trends and Growth Performance: Some Issues in Bangladesh," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 39(4), pages 1171-1191.
- Surajit Deb, 2002. "The Debate on Agriculture-Industry Terms of Trade in India," Working papers 109, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
- Datt, Gaurav, 1998. "Poverty in India and Indian states," FCND discussion papers 47, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Gaurav Datt & Martin Ravallion, 1998.
"Farm productivity and rural poverty in India,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(4), pages 62-85.
- Quibria, M.G., 2002. "Growth and Poverty: Lessons from the East Asian Miracle Revisited," MPRA Paper 2638, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wani, M.H. & Baba, S.H. & Yousuf, Shahid, 2009. "Land-use Dynamics in Jammu and Kashmir," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 22(1).
- Park, Albert & Wang, Sangui & Wu, Guobao, 2002. "Regional poverty targeting in China," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 123-153, October.
- Jayaraman, Rajshri & Lanjouw, Peter, 1999.
"The Evolution of Poverty and Inequality in Indian Villages,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 14(1), pages 1-30, February.
- Jayraman, Raji & Lanjouw, Peter, 1998. "The evolution of poverty and inequality in Indian villages," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1870, The World Bank.
- Singh, Krishna M. & Singh, R.K.P. & Meena, M.S. & Kumar, Abhay & Kumar, Anjani, 2011. "A Village-level Study of Poverty in Bihar: Using panel data Approach," MPRA Paper 45232, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 23 Oct 2011.
- Manoj Panda, 2008. "Economic Development in Orissa : Growth Without Inclusion?," Development Economics Working Papers 22153, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Arindam Banik & Pradip K. Bhaumik, 2005. "Supporting the poor but skilled artisans by making assets available to them: an empirical investigation in rural India," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(1), pages 45-66.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simon Angus).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.