Firm Innovation: The Influence Of R&D Cooperation And The Geography Of Human Capital Inputs
AbstractThis paper investigates the role played by the sectoral and geographical mobility of labour in the promotion of industrial innovations. Knowledge can be transferred between firms by inter-firm interactions and interfirm cooperation. In addition, knowledge can also be transferred between firms by labour mobility. In order to examine these issues we employ a unique innovation dataset from Finland which combines firm specific information about the innovation performance of the firms along with their individual characteristics, as well as firm specific information regarding the sectoral and geographical origins of their recent labour acquisitions. Analyzing this data allows us to identify the different roles which the geography of knowledge spillovers and exchanges and the geography of labour markets play in the innovation process.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Monash University, Department of Economics in its series Monash Economics Working Papers with number 29-07.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia
Web page: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/eco/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Simonen, Jaakko & McCann, Philip, 2008. "Firm innovation: The influence of R&D cooperation and the geography of human capital inputs," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 146-154, July.
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- J60 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - General
- R30 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-08-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2009-08-08 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-GEO-2009-08-08 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-INO-2009-08-08 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2009-08-08 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-SBM-2009-08-08 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-TID-2009-08-08 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
- NEP-URE-2009-08-08 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Stuart S. Rosenthal & William C, Strange, 2010.
"Urban Economics and Entrepreneurship,"
in: Cities and Entrepreneurship
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chi, Wei & Qian, Xiaoye, 2009. "The role of education in regional innovation activities and economic growth: spatial evidence from China," MPRA Paper 15779, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Elisabet Viladecans-Marsal & Josep-Maria Arauzo-Carod, 2012.
"Can a knowledge-based cluster be created? The case of the Barcelona 22@ district,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(2), pages 377-400, 06.
- Elisabet Viladecans-Marsal & Josep-Maria Arauzo-Carod, 2009. "Can a knowledge-based cluster be created? The case of the Barcelona 22@district," Working Papers 2009/38, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Maré, David C. & Fabling, Richard & Stillman, Steven, 2011.
"Immigration and Innovation,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5686, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- David Mare & Richard Fabling & Steven Stillman, 2011. "Immigration and Innovation," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 1110, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Richard Fabling & Steven Stillman & David C. Maré, 2011. "Immigration and Innovation," Working Papers 11_05, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Ping Lv & Monica Plechero & Basant, Rakesh & Xie-Lin Liu, .
"International Competitive Strategy Choices: Comparing Firms in China and India,"
IIMA Working Papers
WP2012-01-05, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
- Ping Lv & Monica Plechero & Rakesh Basant, 2013. "International competitive strategy choices: comparing firms in China and India," Asia Pacific Business Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(4), pages 542-558, October.
- Boly, Vincent & Morel, Laure & Assielou, N’Doli Guillaume & Camargo, Mauricio, 2014. "Evaluating innovative processes in french firms: Methodological proposition for firm innovation capacity evaluation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 608-622.
- Ernest Miguélez & Rosina Moreno, 2013.
"“Mobility, networks and innovation: The role of regions’ absorptive capacity”,"
IREA Working Papers
201316, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Oct 2013.
- Ernest Miguélez & Rosina Moreno, 2013. "“Mobility, networks and innovation: The role of regions’ absorptive capacity”," AQR Working Papers 201308, University of Barcelona, Regional Quantitative Analysis Group, revised Oct 2013.
- Rosina Moreno & Ernest Miguélez, 2011.
"A relational approach to the geography of innovation: a typology of regions,"
IREA Working Papers
201121, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Oct 2011.
- Rosina Moreno & Ernest Miguélez, 2012. "A Relational Approach To The Geography Of Innovation: A Typology Of Regions," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(3), pages 492-516, 07.
- Neil Lee, 2013. "Cultural Diversity, Cities and Innovation: firm Effects or City Effects?," SERC Discussion Papers 0144, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Ceren Ozgen, 2011. "The Impact of Cultural Diversity on Innovation: Evidence from Dutch Firm-Level Data," Norface Discussion Paper Series 2011013, Norface Research Programme on Migration, Department of Economics, University College London.
- Maksim Belitski & Julia Korosteleva, 2011. "Entrepreneurship and Cities: Evidence from the Post-communist World," WIFO Working Papers 397, WIFO.
- Favaro, Donata & Ninka, Eniel & Turvani, Margherita, 2012. "Productivity in innovation: the role of inventor connections and mobility," MPRA Paper 38950, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Naomi Hausman, 2012. "University Innovation, Local Economic Growth, and Entrepreneurship," Working Papers 12-10, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Maksim Belitski & Julia Korosteleva, 2011. "Entrepreneurship and cities: evidence from the post-communist world," ERSA conference papers ersa11p288, European Regional Science Association.
- Ozgen, Ceren & Nijkamp, Peter & Poot, Jacques, 2011. "The Impact of Cultural Diversity on Innovation: Evidence from Dutch Firm-Level Data," IZA Discussion Papers 6000, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simon Angus).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.