Competition in Health Care Markets and Vertical Restraints
AbstractThis paper studies competition between Managed Care Organizations (MCOs) and “Conventional Insurers”. Most of the time, MCOs sign exclusive contracts with providers and these vertical restrictions associated to differentiation in the providers'market imply a risk segmentation. Taking into account this phenomenon, we show that vertical restrictions in the health insurance sector can paradoxically create an “anti-raise rivals cost effect” in which MCOs. penetration allows to decrease conventional insurers premiums.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CREDEN (Centre de Recherche en Economie et Droit de l'Energie), Faculty of Economics, University of Montpellier 1 in its series Cahiers du CREDEN (CREDEN Working Papers) with number 04.05.45.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Université de Montpellier 1, Faculté des Sciences Economiques, CREDEN, Rue Raymond Dugrand - Espace Richter, CS 79606, 34960 Montpellier Cedex 2, France
Phone: 33 (0)4 67 15 83 60
Fax: 33 (0)4 67 15 84 04
Web page: http://www.creden.univ-montp1.fr
More information through EDIRC
VERTICAL RESTRAINTS; MANAGED CARE; COMPETITION POLICY.;
Other versions of this item:
- Baranes, E. & Bardey, D., 2004. "Competition in Health Care Markets and Vertical Restraints," Cahiers du LASER (LASER Working Papers) 2004.13, LASER (Laboratoire de Science Economique de Richter), Faculty of Economics, University of Montpellier 1.
- L42 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Vertical Restraints; Resale Price Maintenance; Quantity Discounts
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
- G22 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Insurance; Insurance Companies; Actuarial Studies
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Martin Gaynor & Robert J Town, 2012.
"Competition in Health Care Markets,"
The Centre for Market and Public Organisation
12/282, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Olivier ROUSSE).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.