Modélisation des déterminants de la pauvreté et marché du travail en Afrique : le cas du Burkina Faso
AbstractThe present study proposes to examine the fruitfulness of an econometric modeling of the determinants of poverty in Burkina Faso in 1994_95, in order to build a “poverty profile” which is not only founded on a decomposition of measurements of the latter according to specified sub_groups. Accordingly, after having examined the conceptual and methodological aspects relating to the modeling of the determinants of poverty, and having specified the macroeconomic context and the social dimension of the burkinabè development, this paper incorporates two new analytical dimensions.First of all, it suggests a specific articulation of the causes of the low standards of living to the modes of participation in the labour market. Then, several approaches as for the modeling of the determinants of poverty are successively proposed:logistic multinomial modelof the determinants of the distribution of the standard of living according to the quintiles, the participation in the labour market being exogenous; model where the choice of the socio-economic groups is endogenous, which implies an analysis of the determinants of the standard of living specific to each group;decomposition of the sources of income of the households and evaluation of their relative share in terms of inequality and wellbeing. This analytical approach underlines the importance of the methodological choices, the existence of common factors - flexible according to the gender of the household head and the areas - as for the explanation of poverty according to segments of the labour market, and, at the same time, the presence of specificities related to the adopted assumptions and the socio_economic groups considered. (Full text in French)
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Groupe d'Economie du Développement de l'Université Montesquieu Bordeaux IV in its series Documents de travail with number 32.
Length: 45 pages
Date of creation: Nov 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- Jean-Pierre LACHAUD, 2000. "Modélisation des déterminants de la pauvreté et marché du travail en Afrique : le cas du Burkina Faso," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2000034, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- J00 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - General - - - General
- O55 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Africa
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kannappan, Subbiah, 1985. "Urban Employment and the Labor Market in Developing Nations," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(4), pages 699-730, July.
- Hausman, Jerry & McFadden, Daniel, 1984.
"Specification Tests for the Multinomial Logit Model,"
Econometric Society, vol. 52(5), pages 1219-40, September.
- D. McFadden & J. Hausman, 1981. "Specification Tests for the Multinominal Logit Model," Working papers 292, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Ravallion, Martin, 1996.
"Issues in Measuring and Modelling Poverty,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(438), pages 1328-43, September.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1976. "Poverty: An Ordinal Approach to Measurement," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 219-31, March.
- Ravallion, Martin & Jalan, Jyotsna, 1996. "Growth divergence due to spatial externalities," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 227-232, November.
- Stark, Oded & Taylor, J Edward & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1986. "Remittances and Inequality," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 96(383), pages 722-40, September.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 1983. "Generalized Econometric Models with Selectivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 507-12, March.
- Ravallion, Martin & Bidani, Benu, 1994.
"How Robust Is a Poverty Profile?,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 8(1), pages 75-102, January.
- Diamond, Charles A. & Simon, Curtis J. & Warner, John T., 1990. "A multinomial probability model of size income distribution," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 43-61.
- Khandker, S.R., 1992. "Earnings, Occupational Choice, and Mobility in Segmented Labor Markets of India," World Bank - Discussion Papers 154, World Bank.
- Carvalho, S. & White, H., 1997. "Combining the Quantitative and Qualitative Approaches to Poverty Measurement and Analysis. The Practice and the Potential," Papers 366, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Coulombe, Harold & Mckay, Andrew, 1996. "Modeling determinants of poverty in Mauritania," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 1015-1031, June.
- Ravallion, M., 1998. "Poverty Lines in Theory and Practice," Papers 133, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Leibbrandt, M.V. & Woolard, C.D. & Woolard, I.D., 1996.
"The Contribution of Income Components to Income Inequality in South Africa. A Decomposable Gini Analysis,"
125a, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Leibbrandt, M.V. & Woolard, C.D. & Woolard, I.D., 1996. "The Contribution of Income Components to Income Inequality in South Africa: A Decomposable Gini Analysis," Papers 125, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Ravallion, M., 1992. "Poverty Comparisons - A Guide to Concepts and Methods," Papers 88, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Koloma, Yaya, 2012.
"DETERMINANTS de la pauvreté et genre des bénéficiaires de microfinance au Mali
[DETERMINANTS of poverty by gender of beneficiaries of microfinance in Mali]," MPRA Paper 40644, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lassassi, Moundir & Hammouda, Nacer-Eddine, 2009.
"Déterminants de la participation au marché du travail et choix occupationnel: une analyse microéconométrique appliquée au cas de l'Algérie
[Microeconometric analysis of determinants of occupa," MPRA Paper 31189, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:pra:mprapa:40631 is not listed on IDEAS
- Moundir LASSASSI & Nacer-eddine HAMMOUDA, 2012. "Le Fonctionnement Du Marché Du Travail En Algérie : Population Active Et Emplois Occupés," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 35, pages 99-120.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.